Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico — The Pacific Coast (and Central Highlands)
Monument to Hidalgo
Monumento a Hidalgo
Esta escultura de bronce de cuatro metros de altura evoca a Miguel Hidalgo con una cadena rota entre sus manos; el monumento conmemora la abolición de la esclavitud que le Padre de la Patria promulgó el 6 de diciembre de 1810 en la finca que hoy alberga al Poder Ejecutivo del Estado.
Monument to Hidalgo
This four-meter high bronze sculpture depicts Miguel Hidalgo holding a broken chain. The monument commemorates the abolition of slavery, which Hidalgo decreed on December 6, 1810 at the current State Government building.
Erected by Gobierno del Estado de Jalisco.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Civil Rights • Colonial Era • Wars, Non-US. A significant historical date for this entry is December 6, 1810.
Location. 20° 40.639′ N, 103° 20.748′ W. Marker is in Guadalajara, Jalisco. Marker is at the intersection of Avenida Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla and Calle Pino Suárez, on the right when traveling east on Avenida Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Guadalajara JAL 44100, Mexico. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Miguel Hidalgo’s Edict Against Slavery (here, next to this marker); The Street of Royal Tobacco Shops (within shouting distance of this marker); Regional Museum of Guadalajara (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Justice Building (about 120 meters away); The Convent of Saint Mary of Grace (about 120 meters away); The Degollado Theater (about 120 meters away); House of Pedro Gómez Maraver (about 120 meters away); The Plaza of Saint Augustine (about 120 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Guadalajara.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 7, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 4, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 132 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 4, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.