Fredericksburg in Gillespie County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Comanche Indians
Throughout the 1700s, the Comanche Indians continually thwarted the imperial efforts of the Spaniards, who moved north from Mexico in an attempt to claim the Great Plains. After horses entered Comanche culture, a company of Spanish infantry were no match for a band of mounted Comanche. By the time the Germans established Fredericksburg in 1846, the Comanche Indians were the undisputed rulers of the southern plains. Their territory was a vast sea of grass extending from central Texas north to Nebraska.
Indians were regular visitors to Fort Martin Scott. In the spring, small bands could be found across Barons Creek setting up their buffalo hide lodges. Buffalos provided meat as well as shelter, for the Comanche built teepees and made clothing out of buffalo hides. From their spring and summer villages, Indians were able to trade with soldiers and townspeople.
As Americans settled the Great Plains in the late nineteenth century, the Comanche way of life declined. Having had a glimpse of what the future held after visiting Washington, DC, Comanche chief Santa Anna helped maintain a peace settlement, along with other
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian.
Location. 30° 14.984′ N, 98° 50.793′ W. Marker is in Fredericksburg, Texas, in Gillespie County. Marker can be reached from East Main Street (Highway 290) 0.2 miles west of Heritage Hills Drive, on the right when traveling west. Marker is located within the Fort Martin Scott parade grounds. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1606 E Main St, Fredericksburg TX 78624, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Town and the Fort (a few steps from this marker); Officers Row (within shouting distance of this marker); Commanding the Fort (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Fort Martin Scott (within shouting distance of this marker); Uncovering the Past (within shouting distance of this marker); The Barracks (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Sutler's Store (about 400 feet away); Peace with the Indians (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
Regarding The Comanche Indians. Fort Martin Scott is a restored United States Army outpost in
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Fort Martin Scott
Also see . . .
1. Fort Martin Scott. Camp Houston, or "the Camp near Fredericksburg," began with two companies, originally both infantry, then alternated between a company of infantry and one of dragoons. The German settlers in Fredericksburg had established a lasting treaty with the local Comanches in 1847; the influx of more settlers into the rich valleys of the Pedernales and its tributaries led to skirmishes but not open warfare. The Eighth Military Department renamed the camp in December 1849 for Maj. Martin Scott (Fifth United States Infantry), who was killed at the battle of Molina del Rey in 1847. (Submitted on June 8, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Fort Martin Scott: Guardian of the Treaty. Fort Martin Scott still stands guard in the heart of Texas 150 years after its construction, which was prompted by a peace treaty between Germans and the Penateka Comanches. The first frontier fort in Texas, the original complex of twenty-one buildings allowed soldiers to patrol the Upper Immigrant Trail through Comanche and Apache territory. The old fort was a hub for military patrols during the Texas Indian Wars. (Submitted on June 8, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 8, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 213 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 8, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.