Fredericksburg in Gillespie County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Peace with the Indians
Several bands of Comanche and Lipan Apache Indians lived in the region of Texas in which the Germans established Fredericksburg. Interaction between the German immigrants and the Native Americans was inevitable and potentially hostile. The Comanches were expert horsemen and posed a threat to inhabitants in their territory. The Germans were the first substantial settlers in this part of Texas that the local Indians would face. The Germans and the Comanche bands in the area soon established a peaceful relationship. Early in 1847, John 0. Meusebach, a German nobleman who led the first immigrants to Fredericksburg, negotiated a peace settlement between Comanche chiefs Buffalo Hump, Old Owl and Santa Anna and the new German residents. Soon, both groups realized the benefit of the other and trade flourished.
As a result of the peace settlement between the German settlers and the Comanche Indians, the soldiers at Fort Martin Scott never fought a battle with Indians in the area around Fredericksburg.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or Castles Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian.
Location. 30° 14.928′ N, 98° 50.753′ W. Marker is in Fredericksburg, Texas, in Gillespie County. Marker can be reached from East Main Street (U.S. 290) 0.2 miles west of Heritage Hills Drive, on the right when traveling west. Marker is located within the Fort Martin Scott parade grounds. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1606 E Main St, Fredericksburg TX 78624, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Natural Setting (within shouting distance of this marker); The Barracks (within shouting distance of this marker); The Braeutigam Family (within shouting distance of this marker); The Guardhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Uncovering the Past (within shouting distance of this marker); The Sutler's Store (within shouting distance of this marker); The Town and the Fort (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Comanche Indians (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
More about this marker. Fort Martin Scott is a restored United States Army outpost in Fredericksburg, Texas, that was active from 1848 until 1853. It was part of a line of frontier forts established to protect travelers and settlers within Texas.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Fort Martin Scott
Also see . . . The Meusebach-Comanche Peace Treaty(Submitted on June 8, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 11, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 8, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 129 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 8, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.