San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Life in San Antonio in the 1700s revolved around Main and Military plazas west of the river and Mission San Antonio de Valero (the Alamo) east of the river. Residents traveled between the plazas and mission along an unpaved street that led to a low river crossing. Later known as Commerce Street, the thoroughfare was lined with small houses and stores until the late 1800s when multi-story limestone and brick structures transformed downtown. To accommodate increased cross-town traffic, a narrow bridge was replaced by a wider iron span in 1890, and in 1914 the present concrete bridge was constructed. It was not until the early 1900s that city leaders began to clear the overgrown river to create a linear park. Architect Robert H.H. Hugman’s plans to further enhance the river with walkways and landscaping were implemented from 1939 to 1941. The River Walk attracted a few businesses, but it was not until HemisFair ’68 that the beautified walkway began to flourish. Today the River Walk is the city’s second most popular attraction.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & ViaductsParks & Recreational Areas • Roads & Vehicles • Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 29° 25.408′ N, 98° 29.271′ W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker can be reached from Losoya Street south of East Commerce Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is on the San Antonio River Walk, just south of the Commerce Street Bridge, on the east side of the river. Marker can be accessed from the River Walk staircase on Losoya Street, near the "Torch of Friendship" plaza. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 333 Losoya Street, San Antonio TX 78205, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Commerce Street Bridge (a few steps from this marker); Mr. & Mrs. Alfred Beyer (within shouting distance of this marker); 141st Infantry Regiment (within shouting distance of this marker); The Torch of Friendship (within shouting distance of this marker); Father of the River Walk (within shouting distance of this marker); 250th Anniversary of the Founding of San Antonio (within shouting distance of this marker); Congressman Henry B. GonzalezThe Acequias of San Antonio (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
Also see . . . Commerce Street at the San Antonio River. Located at the historic main ford between San Fernando De Bexar (the city) and San Antonio De Valero (The Alamo), the river crossing has long been a focal point of history for the city of San Antonio. In 1836, Albert Martin, an emissary from the Alamo met with one of Santa Anna's aides during a critical moment of the Texas War for Independence. In 1842, mayor John W. Smith hired R.T. Higginbotham to construct a timber bridge over the river. The present bridge replaced an 1880 iron truss bridge. The concrete bridge was constructed in 1915 as part of a major street improvement program that widened Commerce Street between the Main Plaza and Alamo Street. (Submitted on June 23, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 23, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 109 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 23, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 7, 8. submitted on July 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.