St. Simons Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Live oak timbers for the building of USS CONSTITUTION, better known as "OLD IRONSIDES," and the other vessels of our first US Navy were cut on St. Simons and loaded here in 1794 for shipment North where the vessels were built.
During the Plantation Era these lands became the sea island cotton plantation of James Hamilton. A wharf here was the shipping center for the St. Simons Plantations.
1874-1902 this Bluff was lined with great mills, where cypress and long leaf yellow pine timbers were sawed into limber and shipped to all parts of the world.
The causeway built in 1924, connecting St. Simons with the mainland, has its terminus here.
In 1949 the Methodist Church acquired the upper part of the Bluff and established EPWORTH-BY-THE-SEA
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 063-12.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 31° 10.183′ N, 81° 24.458′ W. Marker is in St. Simons Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is at the intersection of Arthur J. Moore Drive and Hamilton Road, on the right when traveling north on Arthur J. Moore Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Simons Island GA 31522, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hamilton Plantation (a few steps from this marker); Cassina Garden Club Houses (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); A Man Named Wesley Passed This Way / Lovely Lane Chapel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Epworth By The Sea / Epworth Pioneers (approx. 0.2 miles away); A Mission By The Sea / Susannah Wesley (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lovely Lane Chapel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Epworth-By-The-Sea (approx. 0.2 miles away); Captain Gascoigne (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Simons Island.
Regarding Gascoigne Bluff. In 1736 Captain Gascoigne, of the British Sloop-of-war Hawk, established here at Gascoigne Bluff the base for the naval defense of the
In 1794 live oak timbers were cut on St. Simons, loaded from this bluff and sent to Boston to be used in the construction of the frigate Constitution, better known as "Old Ironsides"
Gascoigne's Bluff, named after Captain James Gascoigne who brought settlers to St. Simons Island, was the site of the Spanish invasion during the War of Jenkins' Ear in 1742.
Also see . . . Glynn County. Capt. James Gascoigne (Submitted on October 8, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
More. Search the internet for Gascoigne Bluff.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 8, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,173 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 8, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.