Near Darlington in Harford County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
An Indian name meaning “at the falls.” Captain John Smith ascended the Susquehanna River in 1608, to the head of tidewater. He named the first rapids “Smiths Falls.”
Erected 1930 by Historical Society of Harford County, Md.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Exploration • Native Americans • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1608.
Location. 39° 39.308′ N, 76° 10.8′ W. Marker is near Darlington, Maryland, in Harford County. Marker is on Conowingo Road (U.S. 1) 0.2 miles south of Shuresville Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Darlington MD 21034, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Susquehanna River fishing (approx. 0.6 miles away); A Susquehannock Indian Fort (approx. 1.2 miles away); Lafayette at Colonel Rigbie’s House (approx. 1.4 miles away); Berkley Crossroads (approx. 1.6 miles away); Keziah's Diary (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Darlington.
Also see . . . Bird Watching at Conowingo Dam Site. Guide by Rick Bloom on The Harford Bird Club website. (Submitted on June 23, 2007.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 7, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 23, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,658 times since then and 78 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 23, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 3. submitted on August 4, 2016, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.