Darien in McIntosh County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
To The Soldiers Of Fort King George
Erected 1940 by Department of Natural Sources Division of State Parks Historic Sites & Monuments.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Colonial Era • Landmarks • Military • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian.
Location. 31° 21.859′ N, 81° 24.972′ W. Marker is in Darien, Georgia, in McIntosh County. Marker can be reached from Fort King George Road (Georgia Route 25 Spur). At Fort King George. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Darien GA 31305, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 200 Years of Sawmilling (within shouting distance of this marker); How Steam Engines Worked (within shouting distance of this marker); Lower Bluff Sawmill (within shouting distance of this marker); Guale Indian Village (within shouting distance of this marker); The Savannah Lumber Company (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Fort King George (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Early Spanish Mission (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Birthplace of John McIntosh Kell (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Darien.
Regarding To The Soldiers Of Fort King George. A cypress blockhouse, barracks and palisaded earthen fort were constructed in 1721 by scoutmen led by Colonel John "Tuscarora Jack" Barnwell. For the next seven years, His Majesty's Independent Company garrisoned the fort. They endured incredible hardships from disease, threats of Spanish and Indian attacks, and the harsh, unfamiliar coastal environment. After the fort was abandoned, General James Oglethorpe brought Scottish Highlanders to the site in 1736. The settlement, called Darien, eventually became a foremost export center of lumber until 1925. See the links below for more information.
Also see . . . Fort King George, the first British garrison of the Georgia colony(Submitted on October 19, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 19, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,549 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on October 19, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.