Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Irapuato, Guanajuato, Mexico — The Central Highlands (North America)
 

Saint Joseph Church

 
 
Saint Joseph Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, December 8, 2018
1. Saint Joseph Church Marker
Inscription.  

Templo de San José
El templo de San José fue conocido en sus inicios como “Templo del Patriarca Sr. San José de los Indios Otomíes” aunque datos fidedignos sugieren una previa construcción de la Capilla de la Virgen del Rosario. Un documento del Archivo Histórico de Guanajuato, con fecha de 1710 sugiere que ya para el año de 1570 el Templo de San José había sido erigido.

En la segunda mitad del siglo XVIII tiene lugar la construcción de la fachada del Templo la cual posee valores históricos, religiosos y artísticos, debido a que en ella se pueden leer los testimonios del pasado de la ciudad de Irapuato, y su Torre a manos de los hábiles canteros de la ciudad de Guanajuato, misma que fue tomada como blanco de más de 200 balas de piedra y metal arrojadas por los primitivos cañones utilizados en un hecho llamativo sucedido en el siglo XIX, durante la guerra de Independencia en 1813, fecha histórica en la que la ciudad de Irapuato fue sitiada y atacada por el guerillero Albino García. Su planta es de cruz latina con tres entre ejes, sacristía. El acceso principal al templo, se caracteriza por su diseño
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
en cantería labrada con una expresion barroca.

Fuente: Archivo Histórico Municipal.

English:
Saint Joseph Church
The church of Saint Joseph was known in the past as the “Church of the Our Patriarch and Lord Saint Joseph of the Otomy Indians”, although reliable sources suggest a previous building of the “Chapel of the Virgin of the Rosary.” A document from the Guanajuato's Historical Archives, dated 1710, suggests that already in the year 1570 the church of Saint Joseph had been built.

In the second half of the Eighteenth Century, the facade of the church was built with great historical, religious and artistic values, since in this front the testimonies of Irapuato’s past can be read, as well as in its Tower built and decorated by skillful stoneworkers coming from the city of Guanajuato. This tower was used as a target of more than 200 stone and iron canon balls, thrown by the primitive cannons.This singular fact happened on an historical date in the Nineteenth Century during the War of Independence in 1813, in which year the city of Irapuato was besieged and attacked by the guerrilla fighter, Albino Garcia. The ground plan of the church is a Latin cross with three axis and between them the sacristy can be found. The main entrance to the church is characterized by its design in baroque stonework.
The Saint Joseph Church bell tower image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, December 8, 2018
2. The Saint Joseph Church bell tower
As the marker notes, the many bullet marks from 1813 can still be seen on the bell tower.


Source: Municipality's Historic Archives
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionColonial EraMan-Made FeaturesWars, Non-US. A significant historical year for this entry is 1710.
 
Location. 20° 40.488′ N, 101° 20.769′ W. Marker is in Irapuato, Guanajuato. Marker is on Plazuela Abasolo just west of Calle Colón, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Irapuato GTO 36513, Mexico. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 18 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Irapuato Cathedral (within shouting distance of this marker); Major Plaza (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); Temple of the Third Order (about 240 meters away); Temple of the Convent (about 240 meters away); Temple of the Convent / Temple of the Third Order (approx. 0.2 kilometers away); Temple of Solitude (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Founding of Irapuato (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Darío Díaz (approx. 16.7 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Irapuato.
 
Regarding Saint Joseph Church. The guerrilla fighter Albino García, the Independence fighter mentioned in the marker text, was executed in Celaya in June 1812, so it is possible that the text is in error when it mentions 1813 as the siege of Irapuato during that conflict.
 
The facade of the Saint Joseph Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, December 8, 2018
3. The facade of the Saint Joseph Church
Saint Joseph Church with the Irapuato Cathedral on the left image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, December 8, 2018
4. Saint Joseph Church with the Irapuato Cathedral on the left
Saint Joseph Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, December 8, 2018
5. Saint Joseph Church and Marker
The marker can be seen to the right of the church's main entrance.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2018. It was originally submitted on December 12, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana. This page has been viewed 88 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 12, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=127337

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 4, 2024