Richmond Hill in Bryan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Obstruction of River
To block the channel of the Ogeechee River, a double row of piling was placed across the river at a point opposite this marker.
By Mike Stroud, October 5, 2008
1. Obstruction of River Marker
Erected 1964 by Georgia Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Military • War, US Civil • Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 31° 53.494′ N, 81° 11.754′ W. Marker is in Richmond Hill, Georgia, in Bryan County. Marker is on Fort McAllister Road. Located at Fort McAllister State Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Richmond Hill GA 31324, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Position of the Monitors (here, next to this marker); Damage From Naval Bombardments (a few steps from this marker); Cheves' Rice Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); Capt. Nicholas Clinch (within shouting distance of this marker); Columbiad (within shouting distance of this marker); Major Gallie's Gun (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Land Mines
By Mike Stroud, 2008
2. Obstruction of River Marker
Click or scan to see
(about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tom Cat (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond Hill.
this page online
By Mike Stroud, 2008
3. They Shall Not Pass
No matter how hard they tried, Union ships could not sail upriver past Fort McAllister to destroy vital Confederate railroad bridges and plantations. This
plain-looking fort - a group of squared off, grassy mounds on the riverbank - won much praise for stopping the Union Navy's most powerful ships.
In 1862 and 1863, untold tons of shot and shell were fired at Fort McAllister. Gunboats, mortar boats, and ironclad ships blasted the earthworks with 8-inch
rifled cannonballs, 13 inch mortars, and smoothbore cannonballs 15 inches wide.
But the dirt walls absorbed the shock of heavy bombardment better than anyone expected. By hauling dirt and rebuilding damaged walls at night, the soldiers could be ready for battle again the next day.
Fort McAllister added weapons until it had seven big guns: five cannons firing 32-pound cannonballs, one cannon firing 8-inch balls, and the biggest firing 10-inch balls weighing 127 pounds. The river was fortified as well. Pilings in the riverbed were connected by heavy chains. Deadly torpedoes (explosives) lurked just beneath the waterline. The Emmitt Rifleman or the 1st Battalion Georgia Sharpshooters hid in strategic rifle pits along the riverbank, while the Hardwick Mounted Rifles (led by Captain Joseph McAllister, who gave this land for the fort), scouted on horseback.
Fort McAllister's extraordinary offensive and defensive capabilities - and the determination of her 230 men - kept Union troops at bay until December 13, 1864,
when General William T. Sherman's army finally overwhelmed the garrison by a force of 25 to one.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 20, 2019. It was originally submitted on October 23, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,017 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 23, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.