Berkeley Springs in Morgan County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Berkeley Springs Sanitarium
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Science & Medicine • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Archives and History series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1748.
Location. 39° 37.63′ N, 78° 13.735′ W. Marker is in Berkeley Springs, West Virginia, in Morgan County. Marker can be reached from Fairfax Street. Marker is in the Museum of the Berkeley Springs. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Berkeley Springs WV 25411, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Berkeley Springs Baths (here, next to this marker); Roman Bathhouse and Museum of the Berkeley Springs (a few steps from this marker); Morgan County Court House Stone (within shouting distance of this marker); Berkeley Springs State Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Henry Whiting / Angus McDonald / Jane and Katherine Dalton / Angus McDonald Centennial Time Capsule (about 300 feet away); Richard Graham (about 300 feet away); Streetscapes Goes Green (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Berkeley Springs.
1. Marker history
This marker was removed from its original location because the information was not accurate. It now resides in the Museum of the Berkeley Springs because of its historic significance. It was replaced by a similar sign with accurate information.
The photo shown here of indoor baths, plus several exhibits related to the history of the famed Berkeley Springs can be found in the Museum of the Berkeley Springs on the 2nd floor of the 1815 Roman Bath House in Berkeley Springs State Park.
— Submitted July 13, 2015, by Jeanne Mozier of Berkeley Springs, West Virginia.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 28, 2019. It was originally submitted on October 29, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,334 times since then and 81 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 29, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.