Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Richmond, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Historic Estate

 
 
Historic Estate Marker (center panel) image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, May 10, 2019
1. Historic Estate Marker (center panel)
Inscription.  (center panel)
The formal entrance drive intersects here with the original service road, which is lined with estate outbuildings. Among the first built by the Dooleys were the Estate Manager's Cottage, the Coop, and the three-story garage in front of you. In the early 1900s, several new structures, designed by Noland and Baskervill, were added: the Carriage House, Stone Barn, Water Tower, Compost House (now the Garden Hall), Fountain Court, and two pump houses.

When James and Sallie Dooley lived at Maymont, this area would have been bustling with estate employees—groundskeepers, gardeners, stable hands, coachmen, chauffeur, and domestic staff going to and from the mansion—as well as deliverymen. Although Maymont was not a farm, a few cows, chickens, draft horses, carriage horses, and saddle horses were kept.

(left panel)
Garage

The outbuilding in front of you first served as the hub of activity for the estate manager and the groundskeepers who planted and maintained the extensive landscape. On the third were rooms for one or two estate employees and a loft. The tall tower
Historic Estate Marker (left panel) image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, May 10, 2019
2. Historic Estate Marker (left panel)
housed a large holding tank for the estate's drinking water which was pumped uphill from a spring of north of the creek, Dooley Branch.

Later the Dooleys adapted this building to house their automobiles, which included a Winton limousine, a 1918 Pierce Arrow, and a 1919 Packard Landaulet.

(above) An early view of the Garage, ca. 1950-1974.
(left) James R.L. Fitzgerald, shown in his uniform, was the Dooley's chauffer from 1914 to 1917.
The Dooley's Winton limousine, 1916.


The Maymont Mansion

The sandstone building to your right was the Dooleys' residence from its completion in 1893 until 1925. The architect was Edgerton Rogers who based his castle-like design on the early medieval Romanesque style. Inside you will see the restored interiors, which display the opulent décor fashionable among millionaires during America's Gilded Age (ca.1873-1918). Upstairs rooms are adorned with splendid detailing such as Tiffany stained glass and treasures left by the Dooleys—tapestries, sculpture, fine porcelain, and richly carved furniture including Mrs. Dooley's famous Swan Bed. Downstairs the kitchen and other restored rooms depict the lives and work of the domestic employees and household conveniences of the time.

Maymont Mansion open year round: Tuesday — Sunday, 12-5 pm. Tours begin in the basement.

(Upper
Historic Estate Marker (right panel) image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, May 10, 2019
3. Historic Estate Marker (right panel)
left) Library
(Below) Swan Room
(Lower left) Kitchen


(right panel)
Landscape & Arboretum

The Dooleys transformed a former dairy farm into an ornamental landscape. They first established parkland with lawns, drives, walkways, and several gazeboes and planted lavish floral displays and specimen trees. In the early 1900s, they enhanced the landscape with the Italian and Japanese gardens, fountains. and many other picturesque elements. The elaborate estate required a high level of maintenance provided by a small army of twenty groundskeepers.

The tree collection established by the Dooleys now includes 300 species from all over the world, among them several champion trees. You will find many distinguished trees in this area from the Dooleys’ time. One is the towering California Incense Cedar, (Calocedrus decurrens), to the east.

Italian Garden

The flower-lined flagstone path that branches off from the main roadway leads downhill to the Italian Garden. Designed by Noland and Baskervill and completed in 1910, the Italian Garden is one of the glories of Maymont with a dramatic pergola, terraces, floral displays and fountains. A granite arch carved with the Latin Via Florum, meaning "path of flowers," marks its formal entrance.

(Top) Incense Cedar
(Right)
Maymont Garage image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, May 10, 2019
4. Maymont Garage
Italian Garden
(Left) "The Tree Graces," based on a famous work by 19th Century sculptor Antonio Canova
(Below) Via Florum ca. 1935

 
Erected by Maymont Foundation.
 
Location. 37° 32.072′ N, 77° 28.645′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Hampton Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1700 Hampton Street, Richmond VA 23220, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. James & Sallie Dooley (within shouting distance of this marker); Maymont, Gilded Age Estate (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Historic Estate (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); River & Canal (approx. 0.2 miles away); Byrd Park Pump House (approx. half a mile away); Richmond at the Falls (approx. half a mile away); Pumps and Parties (approx. half a mile away); Breaking Stones with Feathers (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
 
Also see . . .  Maymont Foundation. (Submitted on May 11, 2019.)
 
Categories. ArchitectureHorticulture & ForestryMan-Made FeaturesParks & Recreational Areas
 

More. Search the internet for Historic Estate.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 11, 2019. This page originally submitted on May 11, 2019, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 48 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 11, 2019, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement