St. Simons Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Early History of St. Simons Island
In later years after th Spanish abandoned their missions, the English established the town and fort of Frederica to the north and Fort St. Simons near the lighthouse. Ft. St. Simons was built too close to the water and was eventually destroyed by erosion.
San Buenaventura De Guadalquini (through 1684) was located on the southern tip of St. Simons Island on or near the present lighthouse site. The mission was occupied by Mocama Indians (87), not the Gaule as previously thought by historians.
Santa Domingo De Asajo (1661 - 1684) located between
San Simon (through 1684) This was a Yamassee Indian Village of 40 adults in 1675 and 17 adults in 1681. The inhabitants were also known as Clones. Located near present-day Fort Frederica, many of San Simons Yamasee sided with the English in their battle with Spain over the "Disputed Land" of Coastal Georgia. This village was likely the source for the English renaming of the island.
Ocotonio (through 1684) The exact location is unknown, but was probably south of San Simon and north of San Buenaventura De Guadalquini. It had 120 residents in 1675, the largest group of unconverted Indians at the time on the Georgia Coast.
Erected by Coastal Georgia Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Native Americans • Notable Events • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 31° 8.036′ N, 81° 23.618′ W. Marker is in St. Simons Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 12th Street, Saint Simons Island GA 31522, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The First Light House ~ 1810 (here, next to this marker); The Historic St. Simons Light Station (here, next to this marker); Historic St. Simons Lighthouse (a few steps from this marker); Fort St. Simons (a few steps from this marker); Couper's Point (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Fort St. Simons (within shouting distance of this marker); Keepers of the Light (within shouting distance of this marker); Welcome to St. Simons Light! (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Simons Island.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 9, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,929 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on May 3, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 2, 3. submitted on November 9, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.