Rockville in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Autre - St. Mary’s Plantation
Home of Caleb Polleckefield Litton: 1720-1763
Caleb Litton’s “Plantation”
The Headstones in this cemetery are what remain of a family graveyard begun by Caleb Litton and his descendants on a 472-acre farm. Litton was one of the very first settlers of what today is Rockville. For his service in the Royal Dragoons, he was rewarded with two land patents for his service. A patent was awarded in 1720 for 405 acres, which he named “Autra” or “Autry” after his family ancestral home in Devon, (which was called “Autre St. Marie,” or “Ottery.”) The other was for 67 acres in 1727, called “St. Mary’s,” which today includes the site of St. Mary’s Catholic Church. The property was bounded by Rock Creek on the east, what is today Veirs Mill Road on the south, by Baltimore Road on the north and extended to what is now Rockville Pike.
The Caleb Litton home was a two story frame house with log planks, standing between the sites of Meadow Hall Elementary School and the former Broome Junior High building. Caleb Litton was a founder, warden and vestryman of St. Paul’s Church, Rock Creek Parish in the
The cemetery and park, now called Tweed Park, are owned by the City of Rockville. Earlier, the cemetery had other names: Litton Family Cemetery, Summers’ Cemetery and Willow Tree Graveyard. While none of the remaining stones had legible names, a report on tombstones dated in 1917 showed these names: Mary and Charles Crabb, Thomas Linstid, John L. Summers, J. N. Summers and Ann Marie Wilson. Mrs. Crabb, the Summers and Mrs. Wilson were part of the Litton family. The family name is spelled variously in records and wills as Litton, Liton, Lytton, Lutton, and Letton.
Placed here by the City of Rockville with the assistance of Blair Ewing, a Litton descendant, 2004.
Erected 2004 by City of Rockville, Department of Recreation and Parks.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Colonial Era.
Location. 39° 4.815′ N, 77° 6.93′ W. Marker is in Rockville, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Linthicum Street. Marker is in Tweed Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 Linthicum Street, Rockville MD 20851, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Veirs Mill (approx. 0.7 miles away); Glenview Mansion (approx. 0.9 miles away); John C. Brown Memorial Bridge (approx. 1.1 miles away); Rockville's Pump House (approx. 1.4 miles away); Typhoid in Rockville (approx. 1.4 miles away); Preserving a Community Resource (approx. 1.4 miles away); Rocky Glen Farm/Dawson Farmhouse: Built 1912 (approx. 1˝ miles away); Rocky Glen Farm / Dawson Farm: 1840-1980 (approx. 1˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rockville.
Also see . . . The Litton Cemetary. Meadow Hall Elementary School. Work Hard, Get Smart. (Submitted on June 18, 2019, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 19, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 18, 2019, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 421 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on June 18, 2019, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.