Hyde Home, 1864
Lumberman Charles Hyde built this Italianate home on land once owned by Jonathan Titus, founder of Titusville. It was the first brick residence in the city. Hyde invested wisely in oil, and was founder and president of the Second National Bank. Years later and in a state of neglect, the house was deeded to the John Fertig Association, which in turn sold it to the Young Women's Christian Association for one dollar in 1917. "It is planned to have a sufficient number of laundry tubs, so that young ladies boarding in the city, and who desire to do their own laundry work will be afforded that advantage at the Y.W.C.A." (Titusville Herald, January 12, 1917)
[Photo captions, from left to right, read]
Charles Hyde The Hydes, for whom Hydetown is named, were successful local entrepreneurs.
Y.W.C.A. Front Parlor
Titusville Y.W.C.A. C. 1919-1920
Erected by Oil Region Alliance and City of Titusville.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Industry & Commerce
Location. 41° 37.704′ N, 79° 40.411′ W. Marker is in Titusville, Pennsylvania, in Crawford County. Marker is at the intersection of Franklin Street (Pennsylvania Route 89) and Main Street, on the left when traveling north on Franklin Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 212 North Franklin Street, Titusville PA 16354, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. James Episcopal Church, 1863 (a few steps from this marker); William White Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Benson Memorial Library (within shouting distance of this marker); First Presbyterian Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Scheide Home, 1864 (about 600 feet away); Corinthian Hall, 1865 (about 700 feet away); Veterans Memorial (about 700 feet away); Site of Titusville Oil Exchange (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Titusville.
Also see . . .
1. Oil Creek Township in 1874 Gazetteer of Townships, Crawford County PA. (Submitted on August 26, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Titusville (Oil Region Alliance). (Submitted on August 26, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 26, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 26, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 194 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 26, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.