Near North Bend in Hamilton County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Miami Fort / Fort Finney
Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
A large prehistoric works,
Between here and the river
The first American fort
between the Miami Rivers,
built by General Butler in 1785.
Erected 1930 by Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission. (Marker Number C.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or Castles • Man-Made Features • Native Americans • Wars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission series list.
Location. 39° 7.117′ N, 84° 48.25′ W. Marker is near North Bend, Ohio, in Hamilton County. Marker is on Brower Road 4.1 miles west of Miami Avenue, on the left when traveling west. I believe that the marker was situated along the side of the roadway, at the southeast corner of the intersection formed with a private service road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: North Bend OH 45052, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow Point Farm (a few steps from this marker); Fort Finney (a few steps from this marker); 1801 Miller Burying Ground (approx. 2 miles away in Indiana); Bullittsburg Baptist Church (approx. 2.2 miles away in Kentucky); Indiana - Ohio State Line Monument (approx. 2.3 miles away); Abraham Lincoln (approx. 2.9 miles away in Indiana); Captain Samuel C. Vance (approx. 2.9 miles away in Indiana); Hunt House Hotel (approx. 2.9 miles away in Indiana). Touch for a list and map of all markers in North Bend.
More about this marker. This historical marker is part of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail series (type C) which was put in place in 1930 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Ohio's Revolutionary War era Battle of Piqua, by the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission.
In order to accomplish this, in 1929 the state of Ohio created the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, and then in 1930 this commission created 22 military trails, throughout western Ohio, between Cincinnati, Ohio on the state's southern border and Toledo, Ohio on the state's northern border. Each of these military trails represented the routes, or trails, used by military leaders during either the Revolutionary War, the Indian Wars of 1790 to 1795, or the War of 1812. Each of these military routes connected various related historical sites, that were marked with Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission (type C) markers, along each of the military trails.
The routes of these military trails were in turn marked by type A and type B Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission markers that served as directional (type B) and distance (type A) markers.
Originally, back in 1930, there were erected 70 some of these Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, type C, markers. To date, there are only 20 some of them that have been located and posted on the Historical Marker database. A number of them are presently missing, including this particular marker, which is listed on page 71 of the ORMC 1931 Planning Report.
Also see . . . Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System. description of the Revolutionary Memorial Trail System developed by the state of Ohio in 1929 - 1930. (Submitted on September 3, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 3, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 3, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 122 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on September 3, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.