Cumberland in Allegany County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Indians and Fort Cumberland
Fort Cumberland Trail
British outposts were driven in, some smaller forts taken, and settlers fled eastward to Hancock, Maryland, and points east. "It was at the risk of life that anyone ventured a few rods from his door... The plantations were being deserted, and homes and property abandoned to plunder or the torch..." -Col. Washington. Some
Indians harrassed the garrison with small arms fire from nearby hills. In the summer of 1756, 70 to 75 of Major Livingston's men marched across town one night, remained hidden, and in the morning destroyed a war party who had been firing into the fort from McKaig's Hill. The same summer, under Major Livingston, some trecherous Indians were allowed into the fort (they planned to attack once inside), then disarmed by the vigilant garrison, dressed in petticoats, and driven out in complete humiliation. Fort Cumberland barely held it's own, however, as it was usually undermanned. The Indians continued to be active in the area, scalping and murdering almost at will.
Friendly Indians including Cherokees were here in 1758. They were useful in checking prowling bands of hostile Indians. Colonel Thomas Cresap led several small volunteer expeditions against the hostile Indians in this area. Negro Mountain was named for Cresap's negro servant who was killed there by Indians. British troops garrisoned the fort at times, but Indian raids continued and local settlers retired to Fort Frederick. These settlers gradually crept back into the frontier regions, as the war drew to a close and they felt more secure. Some Indian raids continued eve after the French and Indian War ended in 1763.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or Castles • Native Americans • War, French and Indian. In addition, it is included in the Braddock’s Road and Maj. Gen. Edward Braddock series list.
Location. 39° 39.057′ N, 78° 45.968′ W. Marker is in Cumberland, Maryland, in Allegany County. Marker is on Washington Street just east of Prospect Square, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 31 Washington Street, Cumberland MD 21502, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Fort Bastions (a few steps from this marker); Gov. Lloyd Lowndes 1845 - 1905 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Fort Proper (within shouting distance of this marker); Famous Personalities at Fort Cumberland (within shouting distance of this marker); First Church of Christ, Scientist (within shouting distance of this marker); Emmanuel Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); President Washington's Last Visit - 1794 (within shouting distance of this marker); Cumberland (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cumberland.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 7, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 98 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 7, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.