Frederick in Frederick County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Evangelical Lutheran Church
to the Glory of God
in grateful recognition of those
who organized this congregation
and have maintained it for
two hundred years
1738 Congregation organized.
1743 Log church built on the Monocacy.
1746 Log church built on present parsonage site.
1747 Adoption of constitution for congregation drawn by Henry Melchior Muhlenberg.
1752 Stone church begun at rear of this building. Erection halted by French and Indian War. Completed in 1763.
1825 Rebuilding and enlargement of the stone church.
1846 Present parsonage built.
1854 This church built and dedicated.
1890 Church school built on Second Street. With additions made in 1912 and 1925.
This tablet placed in 1938 the bicentennial year of the congregation.
Erected 1938 by Evangelical Lutheran Church.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers • War, French and Indian. A significant historical year for this entry is 1738.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 35 E Church Street, Frederick MD 21701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rupp Hospitality House (a few steps from this marker); Hood College (within shouting distance of this marker); The First Stone Church of the Lutheran Faith in Western Maryland (within shouting distance of this marker); Loats Female Orphan Asylum of Frederick City (within shouting distance of this marker); Cultures Meet (within shouting distance of this marker); In Memoriam (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Kemp Hall (about 300 feet away); In April 1861 The Legislature Of Maryland Met Here In Special Session (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Frederick.
Also see . . . Evangelical Lutheran Church web site. (Submitted on December 3, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 15, 2019. It was originally submitted on December 1, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,369 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 1, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 3, 4. submitted on September 18, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 5, 6. submitted on December 1, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.