Kingston in Frontenac County, Ontario — Central Canada
Lower Burial Ground 1783-1863
Loyalists, who wanted to continue living under British rule, came to Kingston after the American Revolution. A Loyalist soldier, Corporal Forbes of the King's Royal Regiment of New York (Royal Greens), was the first to be buried here in 1783. There were about 600 more burials over the next 80 years.
This is the resting place of most of Kingston's original settlers including several prominent people. The bodies of some aboriginals, slaves, soldiers and sailors also lie here. One notable person interred in this burial ground is the Mohawk matriarch Konwatsi'tsyayén:ni later called Tekonwatón:ti (Mary or "Molly" Brant) (c 1736-1796). An Anglican Loyalist, she was the consort and close advisor of Sir William Johnson (c 1715-1774). He was the superintendent of Indian affairs for Britain's northern colonies.
The Rev. John Stuart (c 1740-1811) and ten members of his family are buried here in a walled "Lair". He was a missionary to the Mohawks and founded the Anglican Church in Upper Canada. John Stuart consecrated this burial ground
In addition to Anglicans, Protestants of other denominations were also buried in this cemetery in the early years. Anglican clergy officiated at all burials, regardless of the deceased person's actual faith. This was unacceptable to the Presbyterians. They wanted to have their own clergy officiate at burials. The dispute ended in 1825 when the military cemetery, called the Upper Burial Ground (now McBurney Park), was expanded to make room for the Presbyterians.
A stone wall was built around the Lower Burial Ground in 1799-1808. Remnants of that wall still exist in the section along Montreal Street. St. Paul's Church (1845) and the Parish Hall (1872) were both built on parts of these grounds, covering many early graves.
Erected 2014 by Lower Burial Ground Restoration Society, and City of Kingston Heritage Fund.
Location. 44° 14.002′ N, 76° 29.095′ W. Marker is in Kingston, Ontario, in Frontenac County. Marker can be reached from Montreal Street north of Queen Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located on the west side of Saint Paul's Anglican Church, overlooking the church graveyard. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 137 Queen Street, Kingston, Ontario K7K 1A8, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Paul's Churchyard (within shouting distance of this marker); Molly Brant (within shouting distance of this marker); Bishop Alexander Macdonell (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Kingston Post Office / Bureau de Poste de Kingston (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); The First Meeting of the Executive Council of Upper Canada (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Kingston Custom House / Bâtiment des Douanes de Kingston (approx. half a kilometer away); The Rev. John Stuart (approx. half a kilometer away); The King's Royal Regiment of New York (approx. 0.6 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kingston.
Also see . . . What’s Behind These Walls? The Lower Burial Ground!. The cemetery was laid out in 1783 in anticipation of the arrival of Loyalists at Cataraqui after the American Revolution. St. Paul’s Anglican Church was built on the burial ground in 1845. Legally owned by the Anglican Diocese of Ontario, it is believed to be the second oldest Protestant cemetery west of Montreal. (Submitted on October 25, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Lower Burial Ground 1783-1863.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 25, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 21, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 45 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on October 24, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.