Near Ventura in Ventura County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
San Buenaventura Mission Aqueduct
A visible section of the mission aqueduct still exists just east of Highway 33 on Cañada Larga Road. It is one of the few remaining parts of a seven-mile-long system that delivered water from San Antonio Creek to El Caballo filtration plant on the hill behind San Buenaventura Mission. The aqueduct was built of river cobblestones and Roman cement by Chumash workers under the direction of mission priests. The Cañada Larga site has suffered from erosion damage over the years and efforts are currently underway to protect it from further damage. The aqueduct is on private land, but can be observed from Cañada Larga Road.
Erected 2019 by County of Ventura. (Marker Number 28.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Hispanic Americans • Native Americans. In addition, it is included in the California Historical Landmarks, and the Ventura County Historical Landmarks series lists.
Location. 34° 20.528′ N, 119° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 234 Cañada Larga Road, Ventura CA 93001, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rancho Cañada Larga (within shouting distance of this marker); Santa Gertrudis Asistencia (approx. half a mile away); San Buenaventura Mission Cross (approx. 4 miles away); Old County Court House (approx. 4.1 miles away); Bard Hospital (approx. 4.1 miles away); J.A. Day House (approx. 4.2 miles away); The Arnold House (approx. 4.2 miles away); El Caballo (approx. 4.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ventura.
More about this marker. Accounts vary as to when the aqueduct was built. One account indicates it was built between 1780 and 1790 by the Chumash Indians under the direction of a Spanish priest trained in hydrology. Others place its construction in the 1790s, and yet another indicates it was built between 1805 and 1815 by stonemasons brought from Mexico.
This location is California Historical Monument No. 114-1, and the El Caballo marker in Ventura is California Historical Monument No. 114 “Old Mission Reservoir”. Both are also listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 4, 2019, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. This page has been viewed 237 times since then and 62 times this year. Last updated on December 6, 2019, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 4, 2019, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.