Brightwood in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Army Nurse Corps Training
Former Walter Reed Army Medical Center
— Walking Tour —
The creation of nurses' training program coincided with the international suffrage movement, as women were gaining more freedom in both their professional and personal lives. A bill enacted in 1901 formally established the Army Nurse Corps, and on June 21, 1911, the first nurses were permanently assigned to Walter Reed General Hospital; the first Nurses' Quarters was constructed that year. At the insistence of administrators who required training for nurses headed to field hospitals and camps, part of the Walter Reed General Hospital was allocated for the Army School of Nursing in 1918. The school constituted the first federally subsidized medical education in the country. The entire school was eventually housed there and continued until its closure in 1931. The second Nurses' Quarters, Delano Hall, was constructed in 1929
More than three decades after the closure of the Army School of Nursing; in 1964 Delano Hall became the Walter Reed Army Institute of Nursing (WRAIN), which continued the tradition of nurse education and training on the Walter Reed campus. WRAIN commissioned its last officer in 1978.
Jane A. Delano, appointed second superintendent of the Army Nurse Corps, assigned the first permanent nurses to Walter Reed after the first Nurses' Quarters were constructed in 1911.
Delano Hall served as the dormitory and included music rooms and other leisure areas for nurses living at Walter Reed while enrolled in the school.
Outdoor class for the nurses in the Army School of Nursing at Walter Reed.
[Captions on the reverse of the marker:]
Delano Hall was constructed with the same level of attention to architectural detail as buildings constructed earlier on the WRAMC campus. Features such as the cupola on top of the building (left) and ornamental pediment with limestone entablature at the front entrance (right) are in the Georgian Revival style, conveying in the new nurses' quarters the same principles of elegance, permanence, and stability previously established in the style of the Main Hospital.
Location. 38° 58.417′ N, 77° 2.03′ W. Marker is in Brightwood, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is on Main Drive Northwest 0.2 miles east of 16th Street Northwest, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1322 Main Drive Northwest, Washington DC 20012, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Walter Reed Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Army Medical Museum (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cameron's Creek and the Rose Garden (approx. 0.2 miles away); Borden's Dream Realized (approx. 0.2 miles away); Walter Reed Army Medical Center (approx. ¼ mile away); WRAMC - Modern Era (approx. ¼ mile away); Walter Reed General Hospital (approx. ¼ mile away); Borden's Dream (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brightwood.
Categories. • Civil Rights • Education • Science & Medicine • Women •
More. Search the internet for Army Nurse Corps Training.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 24, 2019. This page originally submitted on December 20, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 42 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 20, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 4. submitted on December 24, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.