Christiana in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Christiana United Methodist Church
In October 1807, a meeting of interested persons was held at the home of William Wright for the purposes of organizing themselves into a corporate body, and planning for the construction of "Salem Meeting House." In 1827, Christiana residents who had worshiped at Salem, bought a house from S. Johnson, which they dismantled and rebuilt on land purchased by them on the Christiana-Stanton Road. The first sermon was given by Rev. James Ayers in September of that year.
On July 9, 1857, the trustees of the Christiana Methodist Episcopal Church purchased land here from Abraham and Mary Cannon "in trust" that they "cause to be erected" a new place
Erected 1997 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-98.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list. A significant historical date for this entry is January 28, 1858.
Location. 39° 39.975′ N, 75° 39.709′ W. Marker is in Christiana, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on W. Main Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 21 W Main St, Newark DE 19702, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Christiana Presbyterian Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Village of Christiana (approx. 0.2 miles away); Samuel Patterson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Fort Union American Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Christiana Public School #111-C (approx. ¼ mile away); Talbot's Fort (approx. Lafayette (approx. 0.3 miles away); Last Mustering of The Delaware Continentals (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Christiana.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 5, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 14, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,422 times since then and 12 times this year. Last updated on February 5, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 14, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.