Vermilion in Erie County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Vermilion / Erie County
Founded 1808, incorporated 1837.
• Settled by Connecticut “Firelanders.”
• Name derived from red banks along river.
• Old Indian Fort, up river, famous for giving protection to Vermilion Tribe and roving bands.
• Early charcoal iron industry operated.
• Seat of shipbuilding in sailing days. First small craft built in 1813. Large vessel, the “South America” built in 1841 by Alva Bradley, Ahira Cobb and Rodney Andrews. Bradley, Phillip Minch, Isaac Nicholas, shipbuilding pioneers on lakes. Industry flourished until 1860.
As part of “The Firelands of Ohio” Erie County had its origin in the Revolutionary War. Connecticut towns were burned in the historic raids of Benedict Arnold and British General Tryon. 500,000 acres in the Western Reserve were awarded by the Connecticut Assembly in 1892 to indemnify the fire-sufferers, therefore known as “The Firelands;” consisting of what is now Huron and Erie Counties, plus Ruggles and Danbury Townships.
Originally part of Huron County, organized 1811, first courthouse
Erected 1953 by the Ohio Sesquicentennial and the Sandusky Register-Star-News, founded in 1833.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1808.
Location. 41° 25.257′ N, 82° 21.868′ W. Marker is in Vermilion, Ohio, in Erie County. Marker is on Main Street (Ohio Route 60) north of Ohio Street, on the right when traveling north. Located in Victory Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 687 Main Street, Vermilion OH 44089, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Days of Steel Boats (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Days of Wooden Ships (about 700 feet away); The Lighthouse Lens (approx. ¼ mile away); Vermilion’s Lighthouse (approx. ¼ mile away); Lake Shore Electric Railway (approx. 0.3 miles away); Huron Iron Company Furnace (approx. 2.2 miles away); Lester Allan Pelton (approx. 2.4 miles away); Birmingham School (approx. 6.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vermilion.
Also see . . . Historic Pictures of Vermilion. Photographs and copious notes by Rich
The United States Post office was responsible for knocking the (other) “el” out of Vermilion in 1898 when there was some confusion with Vermillion Township in Ashland County, Erie County, and the town itself.(Submitted on April 7, 2020.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 7, 2020, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 233 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 7, 2020, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.