Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Spotsylvania Courthouse in Spotsylvania County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Legend, Lore and Fact

Spotsylvania Court House National Historic District

 
 
Legend, Lore and Fact Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones (CC0), April 18, 2020
1. Legend, Lore and Fact Marker
Inscription.  
The famous well at Spotsylvania Courthouse was probably excavate around 1798 at the same time the Tavern and Inn located across the road was established. It dominated the intersection of the Fredericksburg Road, Brock Road and the road to Massaponax and Louisa County for over 140 years. It was a reliable stopping point for water for the stagecoach and locals. During the War of the Rebellion, both Confederate and Union troops utilized the well for man and beast. It also served the jail and courthouse. In the early 1900's it served as a site to put water in the radiator of early horseless carriages.

In 1887, the well was the scene of the gathering for the procession to the Sedgwick monument dedication (background photo). Water from the well was also used to fight fires. When the Tavern, Berea Church, Powell residence, and the store on the corner caught fire, water from the well failed to save these structures.

Through the years, the well became known as the place where General "Stonewall" Jackson was given a drink of water on his ambulance trip to Guinea Station. There is no known written record of this event.

According
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
to local citizens, the well was also the gathering place for ghostly apparitions... soldiers from the battle standing in line with canteens and buckets awaiting their turn for water were seen over the years. The well was filled and covered over in the late 1940's.

[Captions:]
A circa 1885 closeup view of the well with its makeshift tripod to draw the water bucket. The well pump was damaged during the battle for Spotsylvania Courthouse.

The well circa 1865, as seen from the road to Louisa. The livery for the Inn, and the store and original home (1852) of Dr. J. Edgar Chancellor lies in the background.

Just a day at the well circa 1885. Brothers George and Mortimer Clark along with Junius Judd.

In this 1912 view, the well stands in front of the Inn at the left. Behold the rider with a pale horse in the photo.

 
Erected by Spotsylvania County Museum, County of Spotsylvania, Virginia.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AnimalsMan-Made FeaturesRoads & VehiclesWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Virginia, Spotsylvania County Museum series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1798.
 
Location. 38° 12.073′ N, 77° 35.354′ W. Marker
Legend, Lore and Fact Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones (CC0), April 18, 2020
2. Legend, Lore and Fact Marker
is in Spotsylvania Courthouse, Virginia, in Spotsylvania County. Marker is at the intersection of Courthouse Road (Virginia Route 208) and Courthouse Road (Virginia Route 208), on the right when traveling north on Courthouse Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9102 Courthouse Rd, Spotsylvania VA 22553, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lee’s Headquarters (a few steps from this marker); A Final Journey (a few steps from this marker); Chancellor's (a few steps from this marker); An Old Jail...A New Home (a few steps from this marker); An Unexpected End to Life (a few steps from this marker); The Corner Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Across the Years & $6,700 (within shouting distance of this marker); An Ordinary on the Road to Snell (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Spotsylvania Courthouse.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 19, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 147 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 19, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=148412

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 26, 2024