Glens Falls in Warren County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Although the founding fathers laid out Glen Falls a half mile to the north, their new village flourished at the foot of the hill. Abraham Wing built the first commercial enterprise in 1765, a combination tavern, inn, and store on the corner of the present Warren and Ridge Streets.
Power generated from the falls was harnessed on both sides of the Hudson River. By 1830, the Glens Falls Feeder Canal offered economical shipping and industries prospered. The sawmill, gristmill, lime kilns, and black marble quarry near this spot were consolidated under The Glens Falls Company, later purchased by Samuel Pruyn and Jeremiah and Daniel Finch. Today Finch Paper LLC continues to manufacture fine printing paper.
The old Wing sawmill washed away in the flood of 1869. Later, a dam which spanned the entire Hudson River was built. A modern replacement of that Glens Falls dam was completed in 1994.
The Native Americans called this site Chepontuc, "a difficult place to get around” because of the rocky falls that were 56 feet high. In 1763 Abraham Wing and other settlers of the
Theses pictures display the falls on the Hudson River between Glens Falls and South Glens Falls. The falls are now only visible during spring high-water season.
Erected by Feeder Canal Alliance.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Native Americans • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1763.
Location. 43° 18.393′ N, 73° 38.521′ W. Marker is in Glens Falls, New York, in Warren County. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 9) 0 miles south of Mohican Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: South Glens Falls NY 12803, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cooper’s Cave (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Glens Falls and James Fenimore Cooper The Mohican Nation – Yesterday and Today (about 500 feet away); The South Glens Falls Hydroelectric Project (about 500 feet away); Weber Furlong (approx. 0.3 miles away); The onetime Dr. James Ferguson Office (approx. 0.3 miles away); Glens Falls War Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Tree of Friendship (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glens Falls.
More about this marker. The marker has two sides. Both side are in poor condition, fading and peeling.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 24, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 3, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 261 times since then and 165 times this year. Last updated on April 22, 2020, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. Photos: 1. submitted on September 4, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. 2. submitted on September 3, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. 3, 4. submitted on September 4, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. 5. submitted on April 20, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.