Collierville in Shelby County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
The Original Village
Civil War Walking Trail
In this area and to the east, lies the original town site of Collierville. The lands that were destined to become Collierville traveled through many periods of history before a village was established. These lands were the lands of the Chickasaw Nation hunting grounds that ran to the Kentucky state line and at various times were under the auspices of the French, English and Spanish.
When Tennessee became a state on January 11, 1796, and was admitted to the Union on June 1, 1796, it would bring about many changes for the Western Territory. What became Collierville was involved in two treaties with the Chickasaw Nation. In the treaty in October, 1818, the Chickasaw ceded lands between the Tennessee, Mississippi and Ohio Rivers to the thirty-fifth degree, north latitude. This created a third grand division that would be known as West Tennessee. This treaty moved the Chickasaw Nation south of the thirty-fifth degree, north latitude. The second treaty in October, 1832, removed the Chickasaw to their new lands in Oklahoma.
Collierville lands north of the
There was a boundary dispute between Tennessee and Mississippi that was not settled until after a fourth survey had been run in 1837. The boundary line was moved approximately four plus miles south where it is located today. Until the settlement of the boundary dispute, settlers didn't know where to pay their taxes or where to vote. Collierville was in Civil District Ten (see attached plat of Shelby County Twelfth Civil Districts, 1836) and would see an additional 14.5 square miles or 9.298 acres added to their district.
Before the boundary line dispute was settled, there appeared in the Memphis Enquirer an ad for "The Town of Collier for Sale.” In this ad from J.R. Collier and H.G. Barbee, lots were offered for sale in October 1836. The ad stated“It is a high and salubrious situation and well watered."Jesse
When the village of Collierville was carved from the wilderness, it was nestled between the two waterways of the Wolf River and Nonconnah Creek on a ridge that protected it from flood waters. The area had fertile soil, average rain fall, and a desirable growing season. Collierville was located in the corner of Fayette County, Tennessee, and north Mississippi making this the location of a trade center for this region.
As the population increased, the young village entered into the decade of the 1850's by sending a petition to the Shelby County Court. The petition was granted on February 7, 1850 to incorporate approximately 320 acres, or about a one-half square mile as the Town of Collierville. The original town located at and around the intersection of Poplar Avenue (formerly State Line Road) and Mt. Pleasant Road (formerly the Mount Pleasant Holly Springs Road) and State Line Road (see LaFayette and Colliersville map drawn by Wilson in 1863).
This incorporation served the town for
Erected by Tennessee Wars Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is January 11, 1796.
Location. 35° 2.698′ N, 89° 39.839′ W. Marker is in Collierville, Tennessee, in Shelby County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street and East Poplar Avenue (Tennessee Route 57), on the right when traveling north on North Main Street. Marker located on grounds of Morton Museum of Collierville History, inside the former Collierville Christian Church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 196 North Main Street, Collierville TN 38017, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Collierville Christian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Collierville, Tennessee Veterans MemorialCollierville High School (approx. 0.2 miles away); History Of The Collierville Town Square (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort/Stockade (approx. 0.2 miles away); Chalmers's Collierville Raid (approx. 0.2 miles away); Battle of Collierville (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Collierville.
Also see . . . Morton Museum of Collierville History. (Submitted on April 29, 2020.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 29, 2020, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 352 times since then and 163 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 29, 2020, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.