Calhoun Falls in Abbeville County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Richard B. Russell Dam
Flood Control, Electric Power, and Recreation
On the upper Savannah River near Elberton, Ga., and Calhoun Falls, S.C. lies the Richard B. Russell Dam and Lake -- authorized for construction by the Flood Control Act of 1966 for the purposes of hydropower generation, recreation and flood control. Originally known as Trotters Shoals, the dam site is situated about midway between the J. Strom Thurmond and Hartwell dams and lake projects of U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Savannah District.
The Russell Project
Construction of the Russell project by the Corps' Savannah District was initiated in 1976. The District began filling the lake in October 1983. The lake reached its full power pool elevation of 475 feet above mean sea level in the winter of 1984 and covers 26,650 acres of land. in all, about 52,000 acres of land were required for the lake inundation, the dam, road and railroad relocations, project operations and recreational areas.
The Dam's structure and Hydroelectricity
The Russell Dam consists of a 1,884-foot long gravity structure of about 1.1 million cubic yards of concrete with a maximum height of 195 feet -- flanked by two earth embankments
The powerhouse has four 75-megawatt conventional turbine-generating units and four 75-megawatt pumped storage units. The project is designed as a peaking plant, with an installed capacity of 600 megawatts -- which makes it the largest Corps hydroelectric project in the southeast. The pumped storage feature allows water, after it has passed through the generating unis, to be pumped back into the lake for reuse in generating power.
Millwood, Example of a Flooded Site
Located on the Savannah River about 5 miles west of the town of Calhoun Falls, S.C., Millwood was the site of a large plantation built in 1833 by James E. Calhoun (Colhoun), brother-in-law and cousin of John C. Calhoun, American statesman and Vice President of the United States. Millwood was a concentrated village allowing overseers to exercise control over 200 slaves, livestock, storage facilities and workshops. One of the first structures built was a gristmill and millrace, completed in 1834. Turbines for the mill were powered by water with a 14-foot drop.
Erected by South Carolina Heritage Corridor.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the South Carolina Heritage Corridor series list. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1983.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Calhoun Falls SC 29628, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. USS Scorpion (SS-278) (approx. 3.4 miles away in Georgia); Bobby Brown State Park Monument (approx. 3.4 miles away in Georgia); Olin D. Johnston Memorial Boulevard (approx. 4.2 miles away); Millwood (approx. 4.2 miles away); Colonists’ Crossing (approx. 4.4 miles away in Georgia); Calhoun Falls World War I and II Veterans Monument (approx. 4.7 miles away); Fort Charlotte (approx. 5 miles away); Mt. Carmel Historical District (approx. 5 miles away); Welcome to Calhoun Falls State Recreation Area (approx. 5.6 miles away); Capture of Fort Charlotte (approx. 5.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Calhoun Falls.
Also see . . .
1. Richard Russell, Jr. Wikipedia biography:
Richard Brevard Russell, Jr. (November 2, 1897 – January 21, (Submitted on February 4, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Richard B. Russell Lake. Wikipedia entry:
Richard B. Russell Lake is a man-made lake created by the construction of Richard B. Russell Dam on the Savannah River bordering Elbert County, Georgia and Abbeville County, South Carolina. (Submitted on February 4, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. Richard Brevard Russell, Jr. (1897-1971)
Richard Brevard Russell, Jr., a Senator from Georgia; born in Winder, Barrow County, Ga., November 2, 1897; attended the public schools; graduated from the Seventh District Agricultural and Mechanical School, Powder Springs, Ga., in 1914, from Gordon Institute, Barnesville, Ga., in 1915, and from the law department of the University of Georgia at Athens in 1918; admitted to the bar and commenced practice at Winder, Ga., in 1919; served with the United States Naval Reserve in 1918; member, State house of representatives 1921-1931, serving as speaker 1927-1931; Governor of Georgia 1931-1933; elected on November 8, 1932, as a Democrat to the United States Senate to fill the vacancy
— Submitted July 18, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 4, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 3,847 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 4, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 3. submitted on November 21, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 4, 5. submitted on February 4, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 6. submitted on November 20, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 7, 8. submitted on November 21, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 9, 10, 11, 12, 13. submitted on February 5, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.