State Park Place in Madison County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Monks Mound - Southwest Corner
Excavations on the southwest corner found that several large ceremonial buildings had burned around AD 1150. Next, a small mound and a new building on top were erected above this and rebuilt eight times over the next 100 years. Thus, the visible rise at the corner.
In the 1730s, French priests built a chapel at this location for the Cahokia subtribe of the Illiniwek (Illinois) nation who had come to this area in the early 1600s, long after the site had been abandoned. Several were buried near the chapel with French trade goods, and they apparently had a village on this First Terrace from about 1735-1752.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Anthropology & Archaeology • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Native Americans.
Location. 38° 39.617′ N, 90° 3.7′ W. Marker is in State Park Place, Illinois, in Madison County. Marker is on Monks Mound Trail 0.2 miles west of Collins Lane, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7789 Monks Mound Trail, Collinsville IL 62234, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Monks Mound - 4th Terrace (within shouting distance of this marker); Monks Mound (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Monks Mound - South Ramp (about 500 feet away); Cahokia (about 700 feet away); The Stockade Path (about 800 feet away); Stockade (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mound 51 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mound 50 (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in State Park Place.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 1, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 23 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 1, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.