Richmond, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The View That Named The City
William Byrd II, an important planter, merchant, politician and writer, was asked by the House of Burgesses to plan a town at the Falls of the James in the early 1730’s.
As he traveled several times to Richmond upon Thames, it is believed that the view led him to name this new town “Richmond.”
Dedicated on March 18, 2006 by
Cllr. Robin Jowit, Mayor - Richmond upon Thames
L. Douglas Wilder, Mayor – Richmond, Virginia
Richmond Sister Cities Commission
Erected 2006 by Richmond Sister Cities Commission.
Location. 37° 31.611′ N, 77° 25.056′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of North 29th Street and Libby Terrace, on the right when traveling south on North 29th Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Richmond VA 23223, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this Confederate Soldiers & Sailors Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); "Richmond" (within shouting distance of this marker); 17 Feet (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Navy Yard of the Confederate States (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rocketts Landing (approx. 0.2 miles away); Great Ship Lock (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Great Ship Lock (approx. 0.2 miles away); Confederate Navy Yard (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for The View That Named The City.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 15, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,456 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 15, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.