Oldtown in Forsyth County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Historic Bethabara Park • 1753
A City of Winston-Salem park and National Historic Landmark, Bethabara is the site of the first Moravian settlement in North Carolina. In 1753, fifteen Moravians set out on a long journey down the Great Wagon Road from Pennsylvania to North Carolina and settled a small village, naming it Bethabara or "house of passage.” By the 1760s, Bethabara had developed into a bustling industrial trade center. After the completion of Salem, the population of Bethabara decreased, but remained an active agricultural community through the 20th century. After archaeological excavations in the 1960s, the founding Chair of Historic Bethabara Park's Board of Trustees, Edwin L. Stockton, championed early efforts to preserve and interpret Bethabara as a historic park. Today, the park offers free special events, 183 acres of wildlife preserve, historic gardens, over 10 miles of trails, centuries-old buildings, a reconstructed French and Indian War palisade and colonial village, and the 1788 Gemeinhaus, the oldest standing church with attached residence in the United States.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Parks & Recreational Areas • Settlements & Settlers • War, French and Indian.
Location. 36° 9.342′ N, 80° 17.873′ W. Marker is in Oldtown, North Carolina, in Forsyth County. Marker is on Bethabara Road east of Bethania Station Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2147 Bethabara Rd, Winston Salem NC 27106, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Congregation Store Addition after 1766 (a few steps from this marker); Congregation Store 1759 & 1764 (within shouting distance of this marker); Palisade Fort (within shouting distance of this marker); Bell House (within shouting distance of this marker); Well 1763 (within shouting distance of this marker); Tailor's Shop Addition and Well after 1766 (within shouting distance of this marker); Tailor's Shop 1764 (within shouting distance of this marker); Congregation Kitchen 1766 (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oldtown.
Also see . . . Historic Bethabara Park. (Submitted on December 8, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 8, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 38 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 8, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.