Near Madison in Morgan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Pennington Community was named for the Pennington family who first acquired land from ceded Native American territories. In 1784 as recognition for his service in the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War, Thomas Pennington was given a land grant of 287½ acres in the then Washington County.
By the year 1882, Pennington had both a post office and a country store. Pennington Methodist Church was dedicated in 1890 and in 1905 a two-room schoolhouse was educating the area children to seven grade levels. The Pennington home place, built in 1847, is still used by the family and community, and although the school was destroyed, the church, store and several other residential and agricultural structures dating to the mid-19th century still mark the heart of this historic community. The Newton family, also prominent in the area, donated land for the church and cemetery.
Early agriculture was based on cotton, dairy, timber, peaches and seed crops. Currently the
Because of the individuals who take pride in this community, Pennington is recognized as a significant part of our county history.
Erected 2007 by Morgan County Bicentennial Committee.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Education • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary.
Location. 33° 28.85′ N, 83° 34.017′ W. Marker is near Madison, Georgia, in Morgan County. Marker is on Williams Road 0.1 miles west of Monticello Road (Georgia Route 83), on the left when traveling west. Marker is at the cemetery at the old church in Pennington. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Madison GA 30650, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Antioch Baptist Church (approx. 2.1 miles away); WWII B-25C Airplane Crash (approx. 3.1 miles away); Godfrey (approx. 3.8 miles away); Reese (approx. 5.3 miles away); Brownwood-Centennial Old Stage Coach Inn (approx. 5.7 miles away); Shady Dale (approx. 5.7 miles away); Providence Baptist Church (approx. 6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 31, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 18, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,159 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on February 18, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2, 3. submitted on June 7, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Pictures of the Pennington church and other historical buildings in Pennington. • Can you help?