Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hillsdale in Hillsdale County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Camp Woodbury / Lewis Emery Park

 
 
Camp Woodbury Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By TeamOHE, December 28, 2019
1. Camp Woodbury Marker
Inscription.  
Camp Woodbury
On July 2, 1862, President Abraham Lincoln issued a call for troops for the Union Army. Men from Monroe, Hillsdale and Lenawee counties met in Hillsdale to form the Eighteenth Michigan Infantry Regiment. Local mill owner Lewis Emery volunteered this land for the regiment's use. Near here they created Camp Woodbury, named for Colonel Dwight Woodbury from Adrian. The men trained at Camp Woodbury from July to August. The regiment was mustered into service on August 26, 1862, under the command of Colonel Charles Doolittle.

Lewis Emery Park
In 1930 the Hillsdale chapter of the Izaac Walton League partnered with the Michigan Conservation Department to establish a pond here to raise fish for sport fishing and conservation. It yielded more than 472,000 bluegills in its first year. Over the next few years, laborers employed by the federal relief Civil Works Administration dug five more ponds which were used to raise bluegill and bass. After the state stopped using the ponds in the early 1960s, the land was deeded to Hillsdale County and renamed
Lewis Emery Park Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By TeamOHE, December 28, 2019
2. Lewis Emery Park Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
Lewis Emery Park.
 
Erected 2017 by Michigan Historical Commission - Michigan History Center. (Marker Number L2299.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Parks & Recreational AreasWar, US CivilWaterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical date for this entry is July 2, 1862.
 
Location. 41° 55.583′ N, 84° 36.533′ W. Marker is in Hillsdale, Michigan, in Hillsdale County. Marker is on Lewis Emery Drive south of State Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2020 State Rd, Hillsdale MI 49242, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Will Carleton Poor House (approx. half a mile away); Winona (approx. 1.1 miles away); Wilhelmina Stock (approx. 1.1 miles away); St. Anthony's Catholic Church (approx. 1.2 miles away); Saint Peter's Episcopal Church (approx. 1.2 miles away); Sultana (approx. 1.2 miles away); American Legion Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.2 miles away); Hillsdale County Heritage (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hillsdale.
 
Camp Woodbury Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By TeamOHE, December 28, 2019
3. Camp Woodbury Marker
Lewis Emery Park Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By TeamOHE, December 28, 2019
4. Lewis Emery Park Marker
Park entrance. Marker is next to picnic area on left background. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By TeamOHE, December 28, 2019
5. Park entrance. Marker is next to picnic area on left background.
Camp Woodbury - Lewis Emery Park image. Click for full size.
Photographed By TeamOHE, December 28, 2019
6. Camp Woodbury - Lewis Emery Park
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 25, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 25, 2021, by TeamOHE of Napoleon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 105 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 25, 2021, by TeamOHE of Napoleon, Ohio. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=165558

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Sep. 28, 2022