The Oak Grove Cemetery Association
In 1867, "The Ladies of the Oak Grove Cemetery Association" was formed, raising funds and working diligently to improve the Cemetery grounds.
In 1870, the stone arch over the original entrance was donated by the Ladies, and later the fencing along Montgomery Street. The arch was torn down due to safety concerns c. 1960.
This monument, using some of the original archway stones, stands in honor of "The Ladies” of 1870.
This project is a joint effort between the Hillsdale County Historical Society and the Mitchell Research Center and is in memory of the late James O. Taylor.
Erected by Hillsdale County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • War, US Civil • Women. A significant historical date for this entry is November 21, 1859.
Location. 41° 56.45′ N, 84°
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Potter's Field (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hillsdale College (approx. 0.6 miles away); Victory Bell (approx. 0.6 miles away); Dorothy D. and Joseph A. Moller Amphitheater (approx. 0.7 miles away); Frederick Douglass (approx. 0.7 miles away); Lorado Taft Statue of 1895 (approx. 0.7 miles away); Kresge Plaza (approx. 0.7 miles away); Liberty Tree Descendent (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hillsdale.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 26, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 25, 2021, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 147 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 25, 2021, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.