Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Franklin in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Flagpole Campground / Pinewood Road

 
 
Flagpole Campground Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, February 6, 2021
1. Flagpole Campground Marker
Inscription.  
Flagpole Campground
During the 1890s Williamson County experienced a religious awakening under the banner of the “Holiness Movement.” Advocates of the “second blessing" and “entire sanctification” met at Flagpole campground the first two weeks of August from 1897 until 1921. William Burr Stinson, W. W. Wall, and M. A. Meacham, trustees of the Middle Tennessee Holiness Association, acquired the 5 acre site at Flagpole, one of the highest points on the Western Highland Rim, for brush arbor and large tent meetings. In 1926 J. C. and Malinda Rainey Green, donated land for the Green's Chapel Methodist Church, a congregation organized in 1877 in the Coldwater community. The original church burned in 1981 and the present building was rebuilt on the same lot. Area schools, Allen, Post Oak, Shoals Branch, Craigfield, and Coldwater, were consolidated into Pinewood School by 1954.
In memory of Oscar and Sue Nell Walker Green

Pinewood Road
Pinewood Road, situated along the Tennessee River Divide, historically connected Leiper's
Pinewood Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, February 6, 2021
2. Pinewood Road Marker
Fork with Samuel Graham's manufacturing settlement on the Piney River in Hickman County, known as Pinewood. On the south side of Pinewood Road are the headwaters of Lick Creek, Shoals Branch, Younger Creek and Barren Fork, which flow into the Duck River, while on the north side flow the waters of Arkansas, Kelley, Copperas, and Caney Fork into the South Harpeth River. Hardwood forests of oak, poplar, chestnut and hickory proved the area's richest natural resources. Historical families of the area include Pewitt, Green, Kelley, Moore, Gordon, Sullivan, Stinson, Anglin, Harris, Walker, Rainey, Southern, Edwards, Mangrum, Hendricks, Lampley, Daugherty, Barnhill, Capley, Moss, Beard, Edwards and Bradford.
In memory of Bennie and Velma Harris Pewitt

 
Erected 2005 by Williamson County Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionRoads & VehiclesSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels.
 
Location. 35° 53.274′ N, 87° 8.134′ W. Marker is near Franklin, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Marker is at the intersection of Pinewood Road (Tennessee Route 46) and Green Chapel Road, on the right when traveling east on Pinewood Road
Flagpole Campground / Pinewood Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, February 6, 2021
3. Flagpole Campground / Pinewood Road Marker
. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Franklin TN 37064, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Greenbrier (approx. 3 miles away); Richard "Dick" Poyner (approx. 3.2 miles away); Bending Chestnut (approx. 3.4 miles away); Garrison (approx. 4.7 miles away); U.S.D. 1812 (approx. 5.3 miles away); Tennessee Valley Divide (approx. 5.3 miles away); Evangeline Bowie, M.D. (approx. 5.7 miles away); Fernvale (approx. 5.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 6, 2021, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 6, 2021, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 27, 2021