Andersonville in Macon County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
In Memory of ...
Andersonville National Historic Site
By the early 1900s, thousands traveled all day by train to Andersonville each year to pay tribute to the soldiers who suffered and died here. The John A. Logan Circle of the LGAR built the Grand Army Memorial Hall or Chapel to shelter the weary travelers. Dedicated on Memorial Day in 1908, the Chapel refuge became a place to honor soldiers buried in the cemetery.
In 1936 the U.S. Army and the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) remodeled the building. Bricks covered up the granite-like cement blocks. A gabled roof replaced the flat one. Updated again in 1960, the structure you see today conceals remnants of the Chapel — itself a faded but treasured memory.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Charity & Public Work • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) 🏞️, and the National Cemeteries series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1908.
Location. 32° 12.213′ N, 84° 7.984′ W. Marker is in Andersonville, Georgia, in Macon County. Marker can be reached from Georgia Route 49 half a mile north of Ellaville Street (Georgia Route 228), on the right when traveling north. Marker is located just inside the Andersonville National Cemetery east (funeral) gate. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 760 POW Road, Andersonville GA 31711, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Unknown Soldier (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); New York State Monument (about 400 feet away); Massive Monuments (about 400 feet away); The Raiders' Graves (about 500 feet away); Grave Markers (about 600 feet away); Memorial to American Former Prisoners of War Stalag XVII-B (about 800 feet away); Prisoner Burials (approx. 0.2 miles away); Andersonville National Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Andersonville.
Also see . . . Andersonville National Historic Site (Wikipedia). The Andersonville National Historic Site preserves the former Andersonville Prison (also known as Camp Sumter), a Confederate prisoner-of-war camp during the final fourteen months of the American Civil War. As well as the former prison, the site contains the Andersonville National Cemetery and the National Prisoner of War Museum. The prison was created in February 1864 and served to April 1865. (Submitted on May 11, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 10, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 53 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on May 10, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 11, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.