Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near McGuffey in Hardin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Scioto Marsh

 
 
Scioto Marsh Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 7, 2010
1. Scioto Marsh Marker
Inscription.  
The Scioto Marsh, the largest of three extensive marsh areas in western Hardin County, was formed in the low basins left by the last retreating glacier 10,000 years ago. It covered more than 16,000 acres and was thought to be a source of malaria by the early settlers. A drainage project was begun in 1859, and the remaining peat-ladened soil helped make this rich agricultural area.
 
Erected 1989 by The Country Connection Club and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 7-33.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureNatural FeaturesSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1859.
 
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 40° 40.441′ N, 83° 47.138′ W. Marker was near McGuffey, Ohio, in Hardin County. Marker was at the intersection of Ohio Route 195 and County Route 110, on the right when traveling
Scioto Marsh Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 7, 2010
2. Scioto Marsh Marker
Looking NW.
Click or scan to see
this page online
south on State Route 195. The marker was about 250 feet south of the intersection. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 15310 Route 195, Alger OH 45812, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Village of McGuffey / Great 1934 Onion Strike (approx. 1.4 miles away); Alger Marion Township Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.8 miles away); Jacob Parrott (approx. 3.8 miles away); Fort McArthur Cemetery (approx. 5.9 miles away); This Tablet Marks Hull’s Trail; 1812 (approx. 6.4 miles away); Ohio Northern University (approx. 6.6 miles away); Ada Passenger Depot, 1887 (approx. 7 miles away); Ada Civil War Memorial (approx. 7 miles away).
 
Also see . . .
1. Unearthing the Land. (Submitted on March 24, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. The Scioto Marshes of Ohio. (Submitted on March 24, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. A Complete History of the Scioto Marsh (1940). (Submitted on March 24, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Scioto Marsh Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 7, 2010
3. Scioto Marsh Marker
Looking south along Ohio Route 195.
Scioto Marsh Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 7, 2010
4. Scioto Marsh Marker
An unwelcome surprise, with marker visible to left of telephone pole, just above barricade. Looking south.
The Rich Scioto Marsh Soil image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 7, 2010
5. The Rich Scioto Marsh Soil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 27, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 24, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,240 times since then and 26 times this year. Last updated on May 26, 2021, by Robert Baughman of Bellefontaine, Ohio. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 24, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=173935

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 18, 2021