Near Smithfield in Isle of Wight County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Captain John Smith’s Adventures on the James
— www.johnsmithtrail.org —
Today, the earthwork remains of the Confederate Fort Huger stand guard over Burwell Bay, described by Smith as “…a Bay wherein falleth 3 or 4 prettie brookes and creekes that halfe intrench the Inhabitants of Warraskoyac.”
Captain John Smith’s Trail
John Smith knew the James River by its Algonquian name: Powhatan, the same as the region’s paramount chief. Smith traveled the river many times between 1607 and 1609, trading with Virginia Indians to ensure survival at Jamestown. What he saw of Virginia’s verdant woodlands and pristine waters inspired him to explore the greater Chesapeake Bay, chronicling its natural wonders.
Captain John Smith’s Trail on the James is a 40-site water trail and auto tour
Isle of Wight’s First English Resident
The first English settlement in Isle of Wight County was made by Capt. Christopher Lawne near here. On April 27, 1619, he arrived at Jamestown with 100 other settlers and immediately settled near the mouth of a creek northwest of here, now known as Lawne’s Creek. Lawne represented the settlement known as Lawne’s Plantation in the first House of Burgesses, which met at Jamestown on July 30, 1619.
During the civil War, this property became home to the Confederate Fort Huger, which was used for about a year. Designed to battle wooden ships, it outlived its usefulness whrn the Union navy added the ironclads USS Monitor and USS Galena to its fleet.
Erected by Captain John Smith’s Trail, James River Association, Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation, Chesapeake Bay Gateways Network. (Marker Number 34.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Forts or Castles • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil.
Location. 37° 6.659′ N, 76° 39.691′ W. Marker is near Smithfield, Virginia, in Isle of Wight County. Marker is at the intersection of Talcott Terrace Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Smithfield VA 23430, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Fort Huger (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Fort Huger (approx. 2.7 miles away); Surry County / Isle of Wight County (approx. 3.1 miles away); Mulberry Point & Sir Thomas West (approx. 3.1 miles away); Poole’s Funeral Home (approx. 3.3 miles away); Lawne’s Creek Church (approx. 3.6 miles away); Felker Army Airfield (approx. 3.8 miles away); Bacon’s Castle (approx. 3.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Smithfield.
Also see . . .
1. Captain John Smith’s Trail. (Submitted on May 5, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
2. Smithfield & Isle of Wight Convention & Visitors Bureau. Historic Fort Huger - Isle of Wight County's Newest Civil War Attraction. (Submitted on May 5, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 5, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,846 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on May 5, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.