Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Greyledge in Botetourt County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Cartmill's Gap

 
 
Cartmill's Gap Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., April 13, 2009
1. Cartmill's Gap Marker
Inscription.  This gap, just west, is named for Henry Cartmill who acquired land nearby on Purgatory Creek. During the French and Indian War (1754-1763), conflicts between Indians and settlers increased in this area. In 1757, Indians laid waste to several nearby farmsteads, including the Robert Renick settlement a few miles north near present-day Natural Bridge. Renick was killed, while his wife and children (William, Robert, Thomas, Joshua, and Betsy) were taken captive. A neighbor, Hannah Dennis, also was made prisoner; Joseph Dennis, her husband, and their child were among those killed. The Indians escaped south through Cartmill's Gap.
 
Erected 1999 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number A-92.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native AmericansWar, French and IndianWars, US Indian.
 
Location. 37° 33.397′ N, 79° 39.55′ W. Marker is near Greyledge, Virginia, in Botetourt County. Marker is on Arcadia Road (Virginia Route 614) near Lee Highway
Cartmill's Gap Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., April 13, 2009
2. Cartmill's Gap Marker
(Virginia Route 055), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 137 Arcadia Rd, Buchanan VA 24066, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A Bridge Over Time (approx. 2.1 miles away); Buchanan & The James River & Kanawha Canal (approx. 2.2 miles away); Buchanan Bridge (approx. 2.2 miles away); Kemble Building (approx. 2.2 miles away); Star/Buchanan Theatre (approx. 2.3 miles away); Buchanan Baptist Church (approx. 2.3 miles away); H.L. Williams House (approx. 2.3 miles away); Trinity Episcopal Church (approx. 2.4 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 10, 2009, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,831 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 10, 2009, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 10, 2020