Mardela Springs in Wicomico County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Springs at Barren Creek…
…were a watering place for the Native American Puckamees (Nanticokes) who lived here, hunted the deer and other wildlife, fished the stream, and traded furs to the earliest European settlers in the mid-1600s.
…provided cool refreshment for travelers and guests of the hotel from the days of the Revolutionary War through the 20th century, the first "spring house" appearing in the 1800s some time before mid-century. After the Civil War the structure was given a Victorian-style facelift, and the form seen today.
…became the focus of the town of Barren Creek Springs as a mineral water spa, attracting thousands of visitors from the mid-Atlantic region to "take the waters" and enjoy the area's recreational opportunities from the Civil War through the early 1900s.
…brought commercial prosperity and growth, and inspired a new name for the town in 1893 when local businessmen began bottling and shipping Mardela Springs Mineral Water far and wide, ending only with the strains of the Great Depression.
Erected by Community Foundation of the Eastern Shore; Westside Historical
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Native Americans • Natural Resources • Parks & Recreational Areas • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1893.
Location. 38° 27.673′ N, 75° 45.135′ W. Marker is in Mardela Springs, Maryland, in Wicomico County. Marker is on Main Street, 0.1 miles east of Branch Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 108 Main St, Mardela Springs MD 21837, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Barren Creek Spring House (here, next to this marker); Site of Barren Creek Springs Hotel (a few steps from this marker); Native Americans (a few steps from this marker); Barren Creek Springs Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mason-Dixon Stone (about 300 feet away); Brattan-Taylor-Truitt Home (about 500 feet away); Lodge Hall (about 700 feet away); Livery Stable (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mardela Springs.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 15, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 15, 2022, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 54 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 15, 2022, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.