LaFayette in Walker County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Lookout Mountain and its spur Pigeon Mountain on the West, Taylor's and Dick's Ridges on the east of the county provide spectacular scenery. Rich coal and iron deposits abound; between the mountains lie fertile valleys.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 146-3.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil • Wars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is December 18, 1845.
Location. 34° 42.526′ N, 85° 16.863′ W. Marker is in LaFayette, Georgia, in Walker County. Marker is on Main Street (State Highway 1 / 136), on the right when traveling north. The marker is located Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: La Fayette GA 30728, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. General LaFayette (here, next to this marker); The Army of Tennessee (a few steps from this marker); The Battle of LaFayette (a few steps from this marker); To Our Confederate Soldiers (a few steps from this marker); Bragg's Headquarters Shell Monument (a few steps from this marker); John B. Gordon Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Chattooga Academy - John B. Gordon Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); The Marsh House (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in LaFayette.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 4, 2022. It was originally submitted on October 31, 2008, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,337 times since then and 19 times this year. Last updated on March 28, 2022, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 31, 2008, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. 3. submitted on April 29, 2015, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.