Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Macon in Bibb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Colonial Trading Path

 
 
Colonial Trading Path Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 9, 2011
1. Colonial Trading Path Marker
Inscription.  Colonial Trading Path or “Lower Path” joined the heart of the Creek Nation on the Chattahoochee River to the English Trading Post in Ocmulgee Old Fields, now Ocmulgee National Monument. Here the chief towns of the ancient Creek Confederacy stretched fifteen miles on the east side of the Ocmulgee River. This path was originally the old Sand Hill Path, across west Georgia from the Chattahoochee River, across the Flint River, and across the Ocmulgee River, eastward. The Indians followed this path from the west to Ocmulgee Old Fields, following Hydrangea Branch (so called by William Bartram), in this neighborhood using it to come to the Trading Post established by the English, 1686-1700. Benjamin Hawkins established “The Agency” at the Flint River crossing, where he had his home. It was the route to Fort Hawkins in East Macon, erected in 1806. This was long known as the Federal Road, authorized by Thomas Jefferson. Federal Highway 80 is the “Lower Path” from Fort Mitchell on the Chattahoochee. This path is a relic of the 100-year rule of the Georgia area by the Lords Proprietors before Oglethorpe (1629-1729).
 
Erected
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
1984 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 011-7.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraNative AmericansRoads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #03 Thomas Jefferson, and the Georgia Historical Society series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1806.
 
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 32° 48.864′ N, 83° 43.951′ W. Marker was in Macon, Georgia, in Bibb County. Marker was on College Station Drive, 0 miles south of Columbus Road, on the right when traveling south. The marker is at the traffic circle on College Station Drive, just south of the Columbus Road (north) entrance to Macon State College. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Macon GA 31206, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. William Bartram Trail (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Muscadine Studios (approx. 4.2 miles away); Confederate States Central Laboratory (approx. 4.2 miles away); Villa Albicini (approx. 4.3 miles away); Ballard-Hudson Senior High School (approx. 4.3 miles away); The Candler Building (approx.
Colonial Trading Path Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 9, 2011
2. Colonial Trading Path Marker
Looking north, the marker sits on a traffic circle, with Columbus Avenue visible in the background.
4.3 miles away); a different marker also named Ballard-Hudson Senior High School (approx. 4.3 miles away); Wesleyan College Historic District (approx. 4.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Macon.
 
More about this marker. A marker of this title and similar text was erected in about 1957 on Montpelier Avenue, then U.S. Highway 80, at Linden Avenue near the Mercer University campus. That marker disappeared, and was replaced by this marker in 1984. The marker vanished again during construction in the area, and in the past few years has been reinstalled here, four miles from its original location.
 
Colonial Trading Path Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 9, 2011
3. Colonial Trading Path Marker
Looking south on the campus of Macon State College; the school's athletic fields are in the distance.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 13, 2022. It was originally submitted on November 18, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 913 times since then and 10 times this year. Last updated on September 13, 2022, by Dave W of Co, Colorado. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 18, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=206104

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 20, 2024