Near Powhatan in Powhatan County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Cumberland County / Powhatan County
Area 293 square miles
Formed in 1748 from Goochland, and named for the Duke of Cumberland, second son of King George II. The earliest call for independence came from this county, April 22, 1776.
Area 273 square miles
Formed in 1777 from Cumberland and Chesterfield and named for Powhatan, the noted Indian ruler. Many Huguenots settled in this county, 1699-1700. Here Robert E. Lee spent the summer of 1865.
Erected 1947 by Virginia Conservation Commission. (Marker Number Z-50.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil • War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical date for this entry is April 22, 1612.
Location. 37° 28.733′ N, 78° 7.537′ W. Marker is near Powhatan, Virginia, in Powhatan County. Marker is on Old Buckingham Road 0.3 miles west of Evans Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Powhatan VA 23139, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Derwent (approx. 3˝ miles away); a different marker also named Cumberland County / Powhatan County (approx. 4.7 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 6.6 miles away); Cumberland County Court House (approx. 6.6 miles away); Confederate Memorial (approx. 6.6 miles away); First Call For Independence (approx. 6.6 miles away); Jackson Davis (approx. 6.7 miles away); Mosby’s Tavern / Cumberland Old Courthouse (approx. 7.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Powhatan.
Also see . . .
1. Cumberland County, Virginia. (Submitted on March 30, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.)
2. The Official Site of Powhatan County, Virginia. (Submitted on March 30, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.)
3. Powhatan, Virginia. (Submitted on March 30, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 27, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 892 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 27, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.