Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Atlanta in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Montgomery Cemetery

 
 
Montgomery Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, February 18, 2005
1. Montgomery Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  On the rise above this marker is the family cemetery of Major J. M. C Montgomery (1770-1842) probably the first white man to settle permanently in what is now Fulton County. A soldier in the War of 1812, Montgomery served under Lt. George R. Gilmer (later Congressman and Governor of Georgia) during 1813-14 at Fort Gilmer, at the Standing Peachtree, adjacent to the mouth of Peachtree Creek.

Settling here about l82O, he acquired farm lands on both sides of the Chattahoochee River, those on the west bank lying in what was still the Cherokee Nation. In addition to his activities as a solder and farmer, Montgomery served subsequently as Justice of the Peace, Postmaster, Census Taker, Presbyterian Church Trustee, Tax Collector, Tax Receiver, Sheriff, Indian Agent and Legislator. On Dec. 25, 1837, he was authorized to establish a ferry across the Chattahoochee River at the Standing Peachtree (Bolton). Montgomery’s (later DeFoor’s) Ferry at the site of the Seaboard Air Line RR Bridge became a “noted crossing place over the Chattahoochee” and the name persists in Montgomery Ferry Drive in Atlanta. The Montgomery family cemetery is
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
one of the oldest authentic landmarks in this area.
 
Erected 1961 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 060-190.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesNative AmericansSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
 
Location. 33° 49.161′ N, 84° 27.102′ W. Marker is in Atlanta, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker is on Marietta Boulevard NW ¼ mile south of Bolton Road NW, on the right when traveling south. The marker is located in heavy brush and trees well off the roadway, adjacent to a building (currently a restaurant). It can be very difficult to see (and even more difficult to reach). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Atlanta GA 30318, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Johnston’s Army Crossed the River (approx. half a mile away); Standing Peach Tree (approx. 0.6 miles away); Fort Peach Tree (approx. 0.6 miles away); Montgomery's Ferry (approx. 0.6 miles away); Casey's Hill (approx. 0.7 miles away); Battle at Moore’s Mill (approx. ¾ mile away); Moore's Mill (approx. ¾ mile away); Atlanta's Outer Line (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atlanta.
 
Additional keywords.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Ferries
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 10, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,095 times since then. Photo   1. submitted on August 10, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement
Jan. 21, 2021