Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Edgewater in Anne Arundel County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Ferry at London Town

 
 
The Ferry at London Town Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By F. Robby, November 7, 2007
1. The Ferry at London Town Marker
Inscription.  A Transportation Network
Ferries were a critical link in the colonial road system. The ferry crossing at London Town was part of a larger transportation network that extended from Virginia to New York, moving people and goods to market along with the news of the day.

By the 1730s, nearly every road in Anne Arundel County led to a ferry crossing or a boat landing. Travelers often had to wait for the ferry, giving rise to a number of taverns or "ordinaries" at the landings. Due to its location, London Town became a busy port town, which at its height had perhaps 300 residents.

[map of colonial Maryland]
Colonial Transportation System: This detail from The State of Maryland, by Samuel Lewis, 1795, shows the road network that existed in the Chesapeake Bay region during most of the colonial period. London Town was located at an important junction of roads. Anyone traveling from Williamsburg, Virginia, to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania or New York, New York most likely came through London Town and crossed the South River by ferry. Ferry crossings are shown in blue and roads are shown in yellow.

[c1840
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
painting of the London Town ferry]
Ferry Landing: Painting of the London Town Ferry, looking across the South River to the London Town peninsula, by Mary Duvall circa 1840. Courtesy of Elizabeth and Peter Edmondo.

Crossing the South River
The London Town ferry was a small vessel, about 30 feet long and rowed by slaves or indentured servants owned by the ferrykeeper.

A ferry crossing was established at London Town sometime in the 1680s, or before.

Ferryboats crossed the river several times a day. The landing across from London Town was called Ferry Point and the road from there led to Annapolis, only three and half miles away.

Ferrymasters at London Town
David Macklefish, an immigrant from Scotland, was London Town's first ferrykeeper. Running a ferry was often a family affair. When Macklefish died in 1711 his wife, Alice, applied for and received a license to operate the ferry and their nearby tavern.

Each year the license had to be renewed. A ferrymaster could lose his or her license if they did not run a safe and efficient service. The days and times of ferry service, as well as prices were regulated.

From 1715 to 1740, traffic was so brisk in London Town that it supported two ferryboat crossings. William Wooton took over the Macklefish ferry, or the "old"ferry, in 1727. This
The Ferry at London Town image. Click for full size.
Photographed By F. Robby, July 23, 2009
2. The Ferry at London Town
The pier shown is the approximate location of the "old" ferry. The "new" ferry would have been to the right of the picture.
was abandoned after Wooton's death in 1740.

Edward Rumney, the tavernkeeper, started the second or "new" ferry in 1715, located at the end of Scott Street. Later operated by Stephen West and William Brown, the ferry continued to operate well into the 1800s, after the town's demise.

[image of colonial ferry boat]
Ferry: A colonial ferry boat. Illustration by Edwin Tunis.
 
Erected by Chesapeake Bay Gateways Network.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraIndustry & CommerceRoads & VehiclesSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1795.
 
Location. 38° 56.492′ N, 76° 32.376′ W. Marker is in Edgewater, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County. Marker can be reached from Londontown Road, 1.3 miles north of Mayo Road (Route 253). Marker is on the grounds of London Town Park, at the end of Londowntown Road, near the brick house. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Edgewater MD 21037, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Brown House (within shouting distance of this marker); London Town Publik House (within shouting distance of this marker); London Town Ferry (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Hill's Medicinal Plants
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(within shouting distance of this marker); Archaeology at London Town (within shouting distance of this marker); Establishing a Colonial Town (within shouting distance of this marker); Scott Street (within shouting distance of this marker); The Lord Mayor's Tenement (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Edgewater.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 3, 2009, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,267 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 3, 2009, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=22143

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 22, 2024