Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Vincennes in Knox County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Mary Clark

 
 
Side "A" - - Mary Clark Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Al Wolf, October 10, 2009
1. Side "A" - - Mary Clark Marker
Inscription.  
Side One:

Born circa 1801, Clark, a slave, was purchased in Kentucky in 1814 by B. J. Harrison, brought to Vincennes in 1815, and indentured as his servant. In 1816, G.W. Johnston purchased her indenture for 20 years. In 1821, Clark and attorney Amory Kinney petitioned Knox County Circuit Court to terminate her indenture because she was held illegally “as a slave.”

Side Two
Circuit Court ruled Clark “freely” entered into her indenture and had to complete it. Upon appeal, Indiana Supreme Court ruled in November 1821 that Clark’s suit proved her service was involuntary, violating Indiana’s 1816 Constitution. Court discharged her from service. Ruling contributed to end of indentured servitude in Indiana. Clark died in 1840.
 
Erected 2009 by Indiana Historical Bureau and Brewer Family & Friends. (Marker Number 42.2009.1.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Abolition & Underground RRCivil Rights
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Women. In addition, it is included in the Indiana Historical Bureau Markers series list. A significant historical month for this entry is November 1821.
 
Location. 38° 40.578′ N, 87° 31.603′ W. Marker is in Vincennes, Indiana, in Knox County. Marker is on North 8th Street south of Broadway Street, on the right when traveling south. located on the South/East corner of the Knox County Courthouse in Vincennes, Indiana (a few steps from the parking lot.). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Vincennes IN 47591, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Knox County Veterans Memorial Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Knox County (Indiana) Gold Star Honor Roll (within shouting distance of this marker); Knox County (Indiana) Civil War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); The First Presbyterian Church In Indiana Territory (approx. 0.2 miles away); Synod of Indiana of the Presbyterian Church, U.S.A. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cradle of Freemasonry in Indiana (approx. 0.2 miles away); Vincennes' Carnegie Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); Historic Pantheon Theatre (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vincennes.
 
Also see . . .  Photos of Dedication (Courtesy - Indiana Historical Bureau):
Side "B" - - Mary Clark Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Al Wolf, October 10, 2009
2. Side "B" - - Mary Clark Marker
. (Submitted on January 20, 2013, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
 
Wide Side "A" - - Mary Clark Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Al Wolf, October 10, 2009
3. Wide Side "A" - - Mary Clark Marker
Note marker to the left of the lamp post.
Wide Side "B" - - Mary Clark Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Al Wolf, October 10, 2009
4. Wide Side "B" - - Mary Clark Marker
Mary Clark Marker - - Behind Tree on Right Corner of Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Al Wolf, October 10, 2009
5. Mary Clark Marker - - Behind Tree on Right Corner of Courthouse
South East Corner - Knox County Courthouse - Vincennes, Indiana image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Al Wolf, October 10, 2009
6. South East Corner - Knox County Courthouse - Vincennes, Indiana
(Click on photo for details.) Note marker to the right of the parked (black) car at the corner of the courthouse.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 12, 2009, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,871 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 12, 2009, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=23219

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 24, 2024