Manassas, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Mayfield Civil War Fort
The People and the Land
— The Manassas Museum System —
American Indians lived on the land long before white settlers and slaves came to this area. Living in nomadic hunter-gatherer groups, people called the Dogues and the Mannahoacs roamed the Northern Virginia Piedmont region. Archaeological evidence dates human activity on this site to at least 6,000 years ago. As European settlement advanced westward from the Tidewater region, the native peoples withdrew.
In 1740 Patrick Hamrick patented his tract of land, which became known as Mayfield. The following year William Davis, who either inherited or purchased Hamrick’s holdings, patented the remaining acreage that ultimately comprised the tract. In 1779, Robert Howson Hooe purchased the 160 acres and by 1861, his grandson, John Hooe, Sr. was master of Mayfield.
John Hooe, Sr. was a gentleman farmer and slaveowner who accumulated significant landholdings and wealth. An 1862 map shows numerous outbuildings associated with the farm. A square stone house was built on the land in the late 18th or early 19th century. The cemetery is northeast of where the house once stood. The Hooe family reportedly left their farm at the time of the
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails series list. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1861.
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. It was located near 38° 45.187′ N, 77° 27.207′ W. Marker was in Manassas, Virginia. Marker could be reached from the intersection of Battery Heights Blvd and Quarry Road, on the left when traveling south. South of the earthworks in Mayfield Civil War Fort Park, on the trail path, standing next to the family cemetery. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Manassas VA 20110, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this location. The Hooes of Mayfield (here, next to this marker); Preservation of Mayfield Fort (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Camps of Instruction (about 300 feet away); Casualties of Battle (about 300 feet away); Why the Forts?Battle of Bull Run Bridge (about 300 feet away); Building the Fort System (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Battle of Bull Run Bridge (about 300 feet away); Role of Mayfield in Battle of First Manassas (about 300 feet away); Building Mayfield Fort (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Manassas.
More about this marker. In the lower center of the marker is a portrait of John Hooe (1791-1873) circa 1865. A map on the right side dates from the Civil War, with the caption, “Detail of the Map of the Manassas Junction, drawn by Lt. Col. J.N. Macomb, Chief Topographical Engineer for the Army of the Potomac in April 1862, showing the Hooe Plantation ‘Mayfield’.”
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Also see . . .
1. Mayfield Fort – A Civil Work Earthwork Fortification. (Submitted on September 9, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. Notes on the State of Virginia - A description of the Indians established in that state(Submitted on September 9, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 8, 2023. It was originally submitted on September 9, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,192 times since then and 70 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 9, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 3. submitted on February 17, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.