Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Douglas in Coffee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Coffee County

 
 
Coffee County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2009
1. Coffee County Marker
Inscription.  
Coffee county was created by an act of the Georgia legislature Feb. 9, 1854, and made up of portions of Clinch, Ware, Irwin and Telfair counties. Named for Gen. John Coffee, of Telfair county, noted as an Indian fighter, planter and Congressman. First county officers were B.H. Tanner, Sheriff; Whittington S. Moore, Clerk of Superior and Inferior Courts; Thomas Mobley, Ordinary; John W. Matchet, Tax Receiver; James R. Smith, Tax Collector; Sim Parker, Coroner, and Mr. Carver, Surveyor. First Inferior Court Justices were Mark Lott Jr., Joel Lott, Alexander Mobley, Hardy Hall and Elijah Pickren.
 
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 034-1A.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureGovernment & PoliticsLaw EnforcementWars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is February 9, 1860.
 
Location. 31° 30.513′ N, 82° 51.031′ W. Marker is in Douglas, Georgia, in Coffee County
Coffee County Marker and Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, November 8, 2009
2. Coffee County Marker and Courthouse
Click or scan to see
this page online
. Marker is on South Peterson Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Located between West Ward Street (State Road 32W) and West Ashley Street (State Road 32E). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Douglas GA 31533, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Coffee County (a few steps from this marker); Coffee County Confederate Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); The Coffee County Bank Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Martin Theater (within shouting distance of this marker); Douglas Surgical Institute and Infirmary (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tanner Mercantile Company (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Tanner Mercantile Company (about 400 feet away); Tri - Hi - Y International (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Douglas.
 
Also see . . .
1. John Coffee. Wikipedia entry:
He and Andrew Jackson had been partners in Nashville merchandising (Submitted on November 9, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 

2. Coffee County. New Georgia Encyclopedia website entry:
The county is in the Wiregrass Region of south central Georgia, so called because of the predominance of wiregrass, which grows among the Georgia pines, especially in the Lower Coastal Plain. (Submitted on November 9, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
Coffee County Courthouse and Douglas Lions Club Armed Forces Memorial image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, November 8, 2009
3. Coffee County Courthouse and Douglas Lions Club Armed Forces Memorial
World War I, World War II, Korea and Vietnam
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 27, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 9, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 753 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 9, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=24293

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Dec. 6, 2022