Washington in Wilkes County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
This was once the home of two distinguished Georgians -- father and son.
Duncan G. Campbell was noted for drafting the treaty that removed the Cherokee Indians from Georgia and also for introducing in the Georgia Legislature the first bill for providing for higher education for women. John Archibald Campbell, born here in 1811, was an Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court from 1853 until 1861, when he resigned to become Assistant Secretary of War for the Southern Confederacy. After the war he practiced law in New Orleans.
This house is really two houses in one. It has two identical front doors and the wainscoated panels under the front windows open.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 157-5.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Government & Politics • Native Americans • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1811.
Location. 33° 44.133′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 212 East Liberty Street, Washington GA 30673, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mary Willis Library (within shouting distance of this marker); Norris House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Duncan G. Cambell's First Law Office (about 400 feet away); 1893 Victorian (about 500 feet away); The White House (about 500 feet away); One of Washington's Oldest Houses (about 500 feet away); Medical Office (about 500 feet away); Great Fire of 1837 (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Washington.
Also see . . . John Archibald Campbell. The Wikipedia biography. (Submitted on December 19, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
1. Also known as..
The home is also commonly referred to as the Campbell-Jordan House, which is the name by which it was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places in 1971 (listing #71000288).
To a lesser extent it is also known as the Campbell-Lindsey House. The Lindsey family lived here from the 1930s to the 1950s.
Additional keywords. Forced removal of Native Americans
Credits. This page was last revised on October 22, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 18, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,138 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 18, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2. submitted on April 26, 2016, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 3, 4. submitted on December 18, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 5. submitted on May 2, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. 6, 7, 8. submitted on April 26, 2016, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.