Leesburg in Loudoun County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Olde Izaak Walton Park
When you can preserve aspects of our community like that, it is going to have untold effects on the town for generations to come.
Town Council Member Frank Buttery, 2000
The 21-acre Olde Izaak Walton Park is named to honor the Loudoun County Chapter of the Izaak Walton League of America (IWLA). Since its inception in 1929, IWLA has concentrated on conservation, education, habitat protection and improving Virginia's environment. With this goal in mind, IWLA purchased this land in 1953 as a way of preserving open space and the natural surroundings. Members of the organization erected the current main building, created the pond, and developed rodeo grounds that attracted some of the best rodeo talent in the area, frequently attended by radio personality and Leesburg local Arthur Godfrey. As the population of Leesburg continued to grow, IWLA moved their headquarters towards the end of 1962 to a larger area in Hamilton.
In 2000, the Town of Leesburg leased the property to expand their park system and provide additional passive and recreational facilities for the residents of Leesburg. In appreciation for their conservation efforts, and for the development and stewardship of this property, the Leesburg Town Council named the park after the organization that originally preserved this land. On April 25, 2000, the park was officially named Olde Izaak Walton Park. "Olde" reflected the old English spelling used during the life of the 17th Century English angler-conservationist Izaak Walton who wrote the literary classic The Compleat Angler, and for whom the Izaak Walton League of America was named. In November 2017, The Town of Leesburg became the official owner of the park, thanks to a deed of gift from a local developer.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Environment • Parks & Recreational Areas. A significant historical date for this entry is April 25, 2000.
Location. 39° 6.14′ N, 77° 34.056′ W. Marker is in Leesburg, Virginia, in Loudoun County. It is on Davis Court Southeast 0.4 miles east of King Street (Business U.S. 15). The marker is located on the north side of the parking lot near the center of the park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 850 Davis Court Southeast, Leesburg VA 20175, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in the Washington Metropolitan Area and in Northern Virginia. It is also in the American South, specifically in the Upper South, and in the Mid-Atlantic. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the territory of the Mississippian Culture, one of the original Thirteen Colonies, one of the Confederate States of America, and the Antebellum South.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Raflo Park (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Leesburg Lime Company (approx. 0.6 miles away); This Is W&OD Trail: Leesburg! (approx. 0.6 miles away); Leesburg Freight Station (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Orion Anderson Story (approx. 0.6 miles away); The W&OD Railway and Jim Crow Laws (approx. 0.7 miles away); Leesburg Passenger Station (approx. 0.7 miles away); Georgetown Park (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leesburg.
Another marker is no longer nearby. The Lost Locomotive (was approx. 0.6 miles away but has been permanently removed).
Also see . . .
1. Izaak Walton League (Wikipedia).
Excerpt: The Izaak Walton League of America, Inc. is an American environmental organization founded in 1922 that promotes natural resource protection and outdoor recreation. The organization was founded in Chicago, Illinois, by a group of sportsmen who wished to protect fishing opportunities for future generations. They named the league after seminal fishing enthusiast Izaak Walton (15931683), known as the "Father of Flyfishing."(Submitted on November 24, 2024, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Olde Izaak Walton Park.
Excerpt: In 2000 the Town entered into a 30-year lease agreement for the Izaak Walton land re-named Olde Izaak Walton Park in April of 2000. The park consists of a pond, stream, trails, a classroom building and the Ύ acre off-leash Leesburg Dog Park. In September of 2008, the Leesburg Town Council approved the development of the dog park at Olde Izaak, which now includes a small dog area for dogs under 25 pounds.(Submitted on November 24, 2024, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 24, 2024. It was originally submitted on November 24, 2024, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 274 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 24, 2024, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.





