Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Winchester, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Fort Loudoun

 
 
Fort Loudoun Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, August 26, 2007
1. Fort Loudoun Marker
Inscription.  Here in May 1756, overlooking the frontier town of Winchester, construction began on Fort Loudoun during the period of the French and Indian War (Seven Year’s War in Europe). The fort, named for John Campbell, earl of Loudoun, was a square fortification with four bastions constructed of earth, wood, and stone. Col. George Washington, commander of the Virginia Regiment, designed the fort and supervised its construction until 1756. It served as Washington’s command center for a series of forts authorized by the Virginia House of Burgesses and built on the frontier that extended from the Potomac River to North Carolina. A well, dug through limestone bedrock, survives.
 
Erected 2006 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number Q 4-k.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraForts and CastlesWar, French and Indian. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources (DHR) series list. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1756.
 
Location. 39° 11.341′ N, 78° 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
9.833′ W. Marker is in Winchester, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Loudoun Street and Peyton Street, on the right when traveling south on Loudoun Street. About 200 feet north of the intersection of Peyton and Loudoun Streets. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 419 Loudoun Street, Winchester VA 22601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Fort Loudoun (a few steps from this marker); Washington's Well (a few steps from this marker); Site of Fort Loudoun (within shouting distance of this marker); Jackson’s Headquarters (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Jackson’s Headquarters (about 500 feet away); Dangerous Liaison (about 700 feet away); George Washington Lot (approx. 0.2 miles away); John Kirby, Jazz Musician (approx. 0.2 miles away); Spottswood Poles (approx. 0.2 miles away); Handley Library (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winchester.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
 
Also see . . .  Fort Loudoun - One of Washington's Forts. Includes photographs of the well mentioned on the marker. (Submitted on September 23, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Additional commentary.
Site of Markers for Fort Loudoun along Loudoun Street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, August 26, 2007
2. Site of Markers for Fort Loudoun along Loudoun Street

1. Fort Loudoun - A Popular Name
The name Loudoun was applied to several frontier forts during the colonial era. Confusing to the present day historian, there are forts named after the Earl of Loudoun in Tennessee, Pennsylvania, and North Carolina.
    — Submitted September 23, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
 
Two Fort Loudoun Markers image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, June 14, 2010
3. Two Fort Loudoun Markers
Fort Loudoun Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, March 28, 2009
4. Fort Loudoun Marker
in front of Baker-Hardy House, 419 Loudoun Street.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 23, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,310 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 23, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   3, 4. submitted on May 9, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=2653

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 19, 2024