Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Surry in Surry County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Smith’s Fort Plantation

 
 
Smith's Fort Plantation Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Laura Troy, September 23, 2007
1. Smith's Fort Plantation Marker
Inscription.  Captain John Smith began Smith’s Fort in 1609, two years after the first permanent English colony in the New World was established at Jamestown. The remains of the fort, a two-foot-high earthwork, constitute the oldest extant structure of English origin in Virginia. The fort stands on a high bluff overlooking Gray’s Creek and encloses a triangle of about two hundred feet on each side. Thomas Rolfe, the only child of John Rolfe and Pocahontas, probably owned this tract. The house is a mid-18th-century Tidewater plantation dwelling likely built for Jacob Faulcon, Surry County clerk from 1781 to 1801.
 
Erected 1999 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number K233.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureColonial EraForts and CastlesNative AmericansSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1609.
 
Location. 37° 8.18′ N, 76° 50.117′ W.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Marker is in Surry, Virginia, in Surry County. Marker is on Rolfe Road (Virginia Route 10) south of Main Street (Virginia Route 10), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Surry VA 23883, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Chanco (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Capt. Jacob Faulcon, C.S.A. (about 600 feet away); Surry County Confederate Monument (about 600 feet away); Surry County War Memorial (about 600 feet away); Surry County WWII Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Organization of the Christian Church (approx. one mile away); Pleasant Point (approx. 1.6 miles away); Chippokes Plantation (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Surry.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 23, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,875 times since then and 22 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on September 23, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. Photos of the remains of the Smith's Fort Earthworks. • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=2688

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 5, 2024